Selling maple syrup...easy?

/ Selling maple syrup...easy? #1  

ejb

Platinum Member
Question for all you experienced maple syrup producers....

First, thanks for all the info on the evaporators and dealers...looks like I will be leaning towards a 2x6 evaporator...probably a Leader. If I can't find a used one, I'll probably miss this season, but will try and get a new one in the off season and save a few bucks...also gives me time to get the sugar house built...

Anyway, a few questions for you guys that actually sell the stuff (as opposed to just giving it away to friends).

First, how hard is it to sell? Do most people have a decent chance of selling all they produce? or does a lot of it end up sitting on shelves? My plan is to sell it from my place; and I have a very good location, so I am hopeful it will kind of sell itself, but maybe I need a sanity check....

Second, what product mix would you estimate is most likely? i.e. what percent of syrup sells in 1/2 pint, pint, quart, 1/2 gallon and gallon sizes? Seems to me the gallons would be a hard sell, and the 1/2 pints are on the small size? curious if anyone has records on what the most commonly requested sizes are?

Thanks again...happy sugaring! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Selling maple syrup...easy? #2  
Hi,
The high school that my oldest 2 attend run/own a sugaring operation. Its run every year and the kids get a true hands from collecting sap to sales. So, the info Im giving is based on this and what Ive seen and experienced.

The school raises a fairly large amt of money from syrup sales. While they could make sugar they dont. It usually takes them only a few months to sell out. I think last yr they did about 50 gals of syrup...thats a lot of syrup (and sap). Im not sure how much work it was getting the name out. However, once its out theyve never had trouble selling out. Id think about expanding my market though since its pretty easy to mail. The school uses its website for sales purposes. Not sure what %age of sales are local or 'away'.

As for pkging they make mostly pints and half pints. Much of it gets sold as gifts. Myself I buy gallons. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Youre right though, the larger sizes just dont sell as well. If you have larger sizes that arent selling I think you can repkg them...or perhaps pkg only when you have an order.

That said...the kids spend lots of time and effort after school collecting sap and late nights boiling it. If you have a day job count on being tired thru sugaring season. Itll help out a lot to have some help. Guess it also depends on how many trees youre tapping too.

HTH jimg

/ Selling maple syrup...easy? #3  
Not meaning to bring a sour note into your plans, but if you haven't already. Check all the laws pertaining to the manufacturing and selling of a product intended for human consumption.
We unfortunatly live in a sue happy society.
So check with your insurance carrier as well.

/ Selling maple syrup...easy? #4  
Hi EJB,

I can't speak for Mass, but up here it's not at all hard to find buyers, especially for a small producer. Many friends, neighbors, and coworkers will ask once they know you're in the syrup business. Hanging a sign on the road will generate drive-by business. I know folks who will work out a deal with a local store for shelf space or commission sales or such. It is fairly hard to find a small producer who isn't sold out within 6 months of sugaring season.

As for package sizes, you might think about just stocking syrup in large containers (5gal or such) and filling jugs/bottles on demand. Half and full gallons will be the choice for your regular local customers, but the tourist/drive-by trade will probably prefer fancier glass and sizes up to quarts.

Vermont does have a few regulations on selling syrup. The main ones are:
- have producer name & address on container
- must be graded (Vermont grades are different than most ther states)
- must meet density standards (you'll need to use a hydrometer in the sugarhouse)

You can read all the fine print here, but, again this is Vermont stuff and I'm sure Mass has something similar.

/ Selling maple syrup...easy? #5  
Also may want to look into the FDA rules. It seems like changes are in the wind for more stainless, splash walls, ground water, etc. It seems now states like Ohio and Maine already have these regs in place and our inspected yearly.
This only go's for the big operator that sells to the public. The good old boy days may be coming to an end soon.
Talk with a local dealer or a maple syrup dealer around your area.
Take care