Dealing with pipes freezing?

/ Dealing with pipes freezing? #1  

jymbee

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey 1652, 1949 Farmall H
There's one area in my basement where the run of copper to feed the radiator farthest from the furnace is close to the top of the foundation wall. On nights like last night with the temperature around 20 below that area is susceptible to freezing. I've been advised not to use something like electric heat tape but am wondering if perhaps there's some newer, (or older!) effective method to keep pipes from freezing?

I do remove ceiling tiles to let room air into that area but sometimes on such cold nights the wood fired add-on keeps the main basement area so warm that the thermostat never calls for heat and the elements farthest away from the utility room can freeze up.

/ Dealing with pipes freezing? #2  
I've had my share of pipes freezing. I use pipe insulation .Also stuff insulation in any gaps/openings in foundation.

/ Dealing with pipes freezing? #4  
Whats wrong with heat tape??

/ Dealing with pipes freezing? #6  
I used a thermostatic controlled heat tape with insulation over it on my pump system in the garage.

/ Dealing with pipes freezing? #7  
There's one area in my basement where the run of copper to feed the radiator farthest from the furnace is close to the top of the foundation wall. On nights like last night with the temperature around 20 below that area is susceptible to freezing. I've been advised not to use something like electric heat tape but am wondering if perhaps there's some newer, (or older!) effective method to keep pipes from freezing?

I do remove ceiling tiles to let room air into that area but sometimes on such cold nights the wood fired add-on keeps the main basement area so warm that the thermostat never calls for heat and the elements farthest away from the utility room can freeze up.

I use Heatline products on my hydrant at the barn and sump pump output pipe. Works very well. Too many (all?) heat tapes are recommended only for pipes with water in them, so were not an option for the sump pump discharge pipe. Worked so well, I bought one for the hydrant. Very nice people to deal with as well.

/ Dealing with pipes freezing? #8  
There exists self regulating heat tapes. They come in 6 or 10 watt per foot with each foot acting independently so that there is minimal power consumption. Also available for 110 or 220 applications and some versions for inside water lines that service well pumps.
In my area solid bedrock would make it very costly to properly run water lines so many installations make use of these techniques.

Older methods required a remote thermostat to turn heat on/off with sensor placement being critical.
The modern tapes use a thermistor principle whereby the lower the temp the better the conductivity and warmer that section becomes, this repeated every foot as needed hence very economical to use.

The earlier method basically was a long oven element full length that when not properly installed resulted in pre heated water entering the house. Also costlier to operate.

/ Dealing with pipes freezing?
I'm thinking that the plumber(s) that advised against heat tape just weren't aware of the newer products such as these out there. I will definitely check into these types systems. Thanks for the input-- and thanks to MikePA for the link.

There exists self regulating heat tapes. They come in 6 or 10 watt per foot with each foot acting independently so that there is minimal power consumption. Also available for 110 or 220 applications and some versions for inside water lines that service well pumps.
In my area solid bedrock would make it very costly to properly run water lines so many installations make use of these techniques.

Older methods required a remote thermostat to turn heat on/off with sensor placement being critical.
The modern tapes use a thermistor principle whereby the lower the temp the better the conductivity and warmer that section becomes, this repeated every foot as needed hence very economical to use.

The earlier method basically was a long oven element full length that when not properly installed resulted in pre heated water entering the house. Also costlier to operate.

/ Dealing with pipes freezing? #10  
I'm thinking that the plumber(s) that advised against heat tape just weren't aware of the newer products such as these out there. I will definitely check into these types systems. Thanks for the input-- and thanks to MikePA for the link.

You're welcome. Give Heatline a call or send them an email. Describe your situation and they will recommend the right solution, probably Paladin for Pipe. For those in the northeast, Paladin for Roofs might be worth a look.