Oops! Now it's time to install a valve in my outside water line!

/ Oops! Now it's time to install a valve in my outside water line! #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
Yesterday we dropped a Douglas-fir on a outside water line, buried 2' deep. One limb poked into the ground and found a water line. Had a little gusher. I had no underground shutoff for that section of water line, which tee's off the line to the house, meaning we had to shut off the well and scramble to cut the line and cap it off before dark, so we could restore water to the house. Since I have now dug it up, it's time to install a valve in the line that supplies the yard.

What kind of valve do you guys suggest? How do you get access to it to shut it off, turn it on? The line where the valve would be is only 2' deep--it doesn't get midwest cold here, the coldest I've seen in 35 years has been 13 F and we haven't had any freeze problems (well except for that one time I left a hose attached to a hydrant). It's 1 1/4" PVC.

Once I get that tree cut up and out of there, along with another we dropped nearby, the next project will be repairing the broken line. It's going to be an interesting few weeks.

/ Oops! Now it's time to install a valve in my outside water line! #2  
I would look for something similar to what is used by water departments; a valve in the water line with riser that can be opened or closed from the surface.

/ Oops! Now it's time to install a valve in my outside water line! #3  
Just go to a plumbing supply house, and tell them what you want to do. They will fix you up. A place like Home Depot might not be as knowledgable or have the best quality parts. You only want to do this once.

/ Oops! Now it's time to install a valve in my outside water line! #4  
Ball valve, no gate valves! Preferably one with brass body, teflon seals and SS ball. No PVC crap.

Good luck!

/ Oops! Now it's time to install a valve in my outside water line! #5  
I prefer gate valves. I've seen too many ball valves freeze up over the years and not work anymore. If a gate vale gives you trouble, it's a simple job of taking it apart and replacing the inside parts with those from a new one. Lowes and Home Depot sell them in any size you want. I buy the ones with female threads and screw into them the type of line I'm connecting. If it's schedule 40 PVC, then I use male threaded fittings with Teflon tape and glue it all together.

I use those round access cover things that go down about a foot into the ground for access. Since then are never long enough to get to where the pip is, I build up the sides of the hole with bricks to give the cover thing a solid platform to rest on. After filling and compacting the dirt around it, I'm done. Since you live where it's colder then here, I would fill the open area with fiberglass insulation used for the walls of a house. I've seen it used before and I've been told it works great for that.

Eddie

/ Oops! Now it's time to install a valve in my outside water line! #6  
One can fill the cavity with styrofoam peanuts. Saves having to mess around in fiberglass and the peanuts can be easily scooped out if/when necessary

- Jay