Recommendation for Web Hosting service

/ Recommendation for Web Hosting service #1  

lhfarm

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC40DA
Currently using Network Solutions, a company I have been with for years. Two weeks ago, they started blocking my IP when I used FTP to update my weather station page. After a dozen calls and 4 hours on the phone, they finally told me that my updating my weather station data every 5 minutes was marking me as a threat. I've been doing this for years and never a problem. Network Solutions won't unblock my IP either. This was the worst technical support I've ever encountered. Period.

So I'm looking for a new hosting service. Anyone have a service to recommend?

Thanks,

/ Recommendation for Web Hosting service #2  
I have been using pair.com for about 9 years, no complaints at all.

/ Recommendation for Web Hosting service #3  
startlogic.com

pair is also very good.

/ Recommendation for Web Hosting service #4  
Currently using Network Solutions, a company I have been with for years. Two weeks ago, they started blocking my IP when I used FTP to update my weather station page. After a dozen calls and 4 hours on the phone, they finally told me that my updating my weather station data every 5 minutes was marking me as a threat. I've been doing this for years and never a problem. Network Solutions won't unblock my IP either. This was the worst technical support I've ever encountered. Period.

Was their concern the frequency or ftp?

Just curious why so frequent?

With the ever changing hacker threat environment, the fact you've been doing it for years is, no offense meant, irrelevant. Every 5 minutes was probably being interpreted as a DOS (Denial Of Service) attack.

You might also ask your new potential new hosting service if updating your site every 5 minutes, 24 x 7 x 365 will be allowed.

/ Recommendation for Web Hosting service
Was their concern the frequency or ftp?

Just curious why so frequent?

With the ever changing hacker threat environment, the fact you've been doing it for years is, no offense meant, irrelevant. Every 5 minutes was probably being interpreted as a DOS (Denial Of Service) attack.

You might also ask your new potential new hosting service if updating your site every 5 minutes, 24 x 7 x 365 will be allowed.

Network Solutions installed new DoS software and that is what was flagging the IP. I would have gladly changed my update frequency if they had asked/told me to do so. The first round I was told I need to move to another server package. When that didn't work, they had me change my IP (I'm a Comcast residential customer) Comcast, much to my amazement was extremely helpful. This process took a week to work out. The IP change worked and all was well for about a week.

This time I called and said something is going on and asked directly if it was my frequency of updates. Tech support said they didn't think so. Finally asked to talk to a supervisor and he said yes, that was what was happening. I asked why they just didn't tell me and he said that wasn't there policy. They just block IPs they think might be a threat. So I ask if I could be unblocked and allowed to change the update frequency to one that wouldn't get trapped. He said they could not unblock the IP until after an indeterminate period of time. At that point I had had enough.

The fact that my process had been work for years was relevant. Something changed and it wasn't anything I was doing. NS had me change FTP programs, do multiple traces and spend hours and days on this. I am not the bad guy here. And I will ask the policy of the new provider.

/ Recommendation for Web Hosting service #6  
Network Solutions installed new DoS software and that is what was flagging the IP.

The fact that my process had been work for years was relevant.

I wasn't clear.

The ever changing threat environment made what you were doing for years turn from innocent to being a threat.

It wouldn't surprise me that any repeating ftp process like you're using will eventually be flagged as a DoS attack by most hosting services.

I wasn't clear.

The ever changing threat environment made what you were doing for years turn from innocent to being a threat.

It wouldn't surprise me that any repeating ftp process like you're using will eventually be flagged as a DoS attack by most hosting services.

Let me be clear again. I DO NOT have a problem with changing the ftp process. This is not anything I'm unwilling to do. But I told NS the very first call what I was doing and how frequently I was ftping, including the file names and sizes. Even when they traced it to there DoS software, they didn't know why it was being blocked. So I am not leaving NS because I can't do frequent updates. I'm leaving because I have spent hours and days trying to figure out a very simple/solvable issue. When it was figured out, they won't let me update my site for an undetermined amount of time.

I also stated that I would ask about FTP polices. Maybe I should have been clearer, but not sure how.

/ Recommendation for Web Hosting service #8  
I get it. You're leaving NS because you're mad at them for taking too long to identify the problem, not allowing what you think was a simple solution and not being able to say when you'll get out of the penalty box.

Best of luck finding a new hosting service who allows recurring ftp updates now and won't consider them a DoS attack in the future.

/ Recommendation for Web Hosting service #9  
Personally I can't stand N.S. hosting service...I only use(d) it for interim periods where it made it easy for clients to take over possession of a domain and a site...

I have been using OLM Hosting since 2000 and have had very satisfactory service from them...

http://olm.net/

I get it. You're leaving NS because you're mad at them for taking too long to identify the problem, not allowing what you think was a simple solution and not being able to say when you'll get out of the penalty box.

Best of luck finding a new hosting service who allows recurring ftp updates now and won't consider them a DoS attack in the future.

Excuse me? How many ways can I say that the frequency of updates IS NOT AN ISSUE????????? If you have a problem with me, then block my post. Otherwise I'm not sure what your problem is.

Don't think I've every sent a note like this on this board. Maybe I'm behind the times here too.