Weather forcing people to move?

/ Weather forcing people to move? #1  

300UGUY

Tractor
Kubota L3400, Farmall H
We have had 2 pretty stiff winters here in Michigan, and most of the north. I had 2 neighbor's move into town last year, they both bought condos. The winter was really the last straw for them, they just could not handle it anymore. And I have several friends that are talking about moving to Florida. Do you think there is going to be a big increase in folks moving south?

/ Weather forcing people to move? #2  
We've been in Vermont for a little over 2 years now...I just got hired full time at the company I've been working at (as a contractor) for the last several months. But we're looking at North Carolina and I've already applied for several jobs down there.
I love winter...always enjoyed clearing snow...but the winters in Vermont are getting tough to handle. That, and the outrageous cost of living here...just too much.

However, I don't actually think we'll move

/ Weather forcing people to move? #3  
Do you think there is going to be a big increase in folks moving south?

As long as they only stop in Alabama and buy gas, groceries and keep on moving, great!

lol, seriously, living here and driving up and down Interstate 65 weekly, I see so many tags from Michigan, Ontario, Quebec, etc, of the snowbirds this time of the year as they all begin to head back north. The southward migration runs usually in November, with another wave right after Christmas for the latecomers who have the holidays with family and return south after Christmas.

/ Weather forcing people to move? #4  
As long as they only stop in Alabama and buy gas, groceries and keep on moving, great!

lol, seriously, living here and driving up and down Interstate 65 weekly, I see so many tags from Michigan, Ontario, Quebec, etc, of the snowbirds this time of the year as they all begin to head back north. The southward migration runs usually in November, with another wave right after Christmas for the latecomers who have the holidays with family and return south after Christmas.
My co-worker was originally from alabama.He told me a hillbillys worse nightmare was a yankee pulling a U-HAUL headed south.LOL

/ Weather forcing people to move? #5  
We have had 2 pretty stiff winters here in Michigan, and most of the north. I had 2 neighbor's move into town last year, they both bought condos. The winter was really the last straw for them, they just could not handle it anymore. And I have several friends that are talking about moving to Florida. Do you think there is going to be a big increase in folks moving south?
I think the real reason they want to move to florida is they don,t want to vote on the Michigan sales tax increase to fix our crappy roads this spring.

/ Weather forcing people to move? #6  
We lost 3 out of 6 on our road last year . The neighbor I talked to said he couldn't take the propane heating bill. It would be cheaper for us to shut it down for a couple months and rent a double wide on the edge of the bama bayou somewheres. ---Trevor

/ Weather forcing people to move? #7  

Nah, not possible.. 2014 was the hottest year on record.. It is not cold or snowy here.... much... :rolleyes:

/ Weather forcing people to move? #8  
We've been in Vermont for a little over 2 years now...I just got hired full time at the company I've been working at (as a contractor) for the last several months. But we're looking at North Carolina and I've already applied for several jobs down there.
I love winter...always enjoyed clearing snow...but the winters in Vermont are getting tough to handle. That, and the outrageous cost of living here...just too much.

However, I don't actually think we'll move

Wow, Roy, it seems like you just got there in Vermont. I'll bet you haven't even got all the boxes unpacked. But time does fly bye.
Cheers,
Mike

/ Weather forcing people to move? #9  
In the CA Central Valley, weather (aka extreme drought) is causing some folks to sell the farm and move. In my area the growers have been cut off completely from state and federal irrigation water for nearly a year. They can't get cheap surface water now as in the past since the Sierra snow melt that supplies the reservoirs, rivers and irrigation canals is at near historic lows.

In the North Sacramento Valley (Tehama County) from which I moved last month (sold my 10 acre place), the orchard growers (olives, almonds, plums for prunes) have put in thousands of acres of new trees in the past 5 years and now have to pump ground water year round to keep those trees going.

My neighbor's well at about 100 feet depth ran dry this past August. With annual rainfall running about 40% below normal, we were not getting much ground water recharging. So it would not have been long before I would have had to drill a deeper well. Good luck trying to get a drill crew at your place. The best drillers are booked more than a year in advance right now.

My real concern is that this prolonged drought will continue for 5-10 years or more and drive down property values in my county. Like everyone else, I took a big hit in value due to the Great Recession of 2008. Property values have recovered 25% or so in the past several years. So for peace of mind I sold the farm and moved to the city.

/ Weather forcing people to move? #10  
We've talked about moving somewhere warm a few times over the past decade. We've looked at North Carolina, the Scottsdale area, and southern California. A couple of those times I've really wanted to go, but my wife's career has been on the rise and she wants four seasons so we've always stayed. When we get closer to retirement, we'll probably either move someplace warm or buy a condo somewhere warm that we can use as a vacation spot for the last few years we work and then as a winter home when we're retired.

We really love Grand Rapids in the summer. Fantastic food and good culture for a city its size, with no real traffic and a low cost of living. But the winters aren't for me and I'm ready to pay the "sun tax."