Model 97 Winchester 16 gauge shotgun- Problem?

/ Model 97 Winchester 16 gauge shotgun- Problem? #1  

Gary Fowler

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010
I came across a 16 gauge model 97 Winchester pump shotgun for $200 at a gunsmith's shop which I thought was a good price. The gunsmith told me he had not looked at it since he took it in on trade. I bought it since I am trying to put together all I need for some cowboy action shooting. Looking up the serial numbers, it was made in 1903. The action is a bit tight at the rear and also just as the breach closes. From youtube videos of others and their model 97's this looks like a common problem. Other than that it works fine and even slam fires without issue (some don't work so well and have to work the slide a bit to release the trigger some times).

Anyway my potential problem is that on the 4 shots I tested it with, all four firing pin indents were a bit off center AND the primer was perforated. I have never seen a shotgun do this. I am wondering if anyone has ever seen this and what if anything can be done to fix the problem. IS IT A SAFETY PROBLEM, or just an unusual reaction to the modern loads.

/ Model 97 Winchester 16 gauge shotgun- Problem? #2  
Is the chamber the proper length for the cartridge?

/ Model 97 Winchester 16 gauge shotgun- Problem? #3  
Sounds like a firing pin problem. Have it checked by a gunsmith. My 97 in 16 gauge takes common 2 3/4" shells.

Will

/ Model 97 Winchester 16 gauge shotgun- Problem? #4  
A lot of those old guns were 2-1/2"chamber not the modern 2-3/4".You should have your gun smith check it before you shoot it anymore.Perforated primers are a sign of over pressure.

/ Model 97 Winchester 16 gauge shotgun- Problem? #5  
Being a little off center on the old guns is not rare. As to the pin perforating the primer inspect the firing pin and inside the bolt for excess wear. This will cause the pin to travel farther when struck. May need to trim the pin a little.

If you are not comfortable take it to a smith.

/ Model 97 Winchester 16 gauge shotgun- Problem?
Being a little off center on the old guns is not rare. As to the pin perforating the primer inspect the firing pin and inside the bolt for excess wear. This will cause the pin to travel farther when struck. May need to trim the pin a little.

If you are not comfortable take it to a smith.
This is kind of what I was thinking. The firing pin sticks out much more than I have ever seen on other firearms. It's not the chamber depth for sure as it is chambered for 2 3/4" shells. My question is how does a firing pin get longer with wear?