Anyone give up satellite TV for something like Netflix?

/ Anyone give up satellite TV for something like Netflix? #21  
Please expound on how this can be done.

Kubotain sounds like they are on the same road I am on........

But it gets better, the power of todays technology is so streamlined that you can now watch whatever you want (with a delay) online. I do say delay because networks have to run the show via air before it can be watched online.

you can try yourself on any computer, not smart tv/phone/ipad. It must be a computer. Reason is; there are going to be pop ups and such and a typical computer can handle the extra junk so you can close it out.

go to google, type in whatever show you want to watch and add the word streaming at the end.

you are not trying to download anything, just watch so you want to only stream it. Safer (no virus) and keeps you in the blanket (outside) of piracy

Muddle through the results that google offers and you will find what you are looking for... There is some work involved but you will succeed. With a little practice and you can watch whatever you want- a day late and a dollar saved. these are for current show's in its current season.

If you want to watch other shows (older) you can visit abc/discovery and the like. Most stream media for free as well; trying to get you hooked on their shows.

I have given you enough info to get you started, it is up to you to do the rest. Remember to close pop ups and don't download anything......Just stream in a player on the web like you do with youtub

/ Anyone give up satellite TV for something like Netflix? #22  
No cable or satellite TV here. Good internet connection, and a ROKU player. Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon prime for streaming video to go with the over-the-air antenna. About all we need. I enjoy (some) sports, so I will purchase the MLB.tv and NHL Gamecenter packages. All that, and still cheaper than cable/satellite (we pay about $40 per month averaged out for all of the above). Considering going another $20 per month to add Sling TV (go Google "Sling TV") to stream through the ROKU. Sling offers ESPN, TNT, TBS, HGTV, and some others. Haven't gone for that yet...doesn't quite look like it is worth $20. If they add History and Discovery, then I will have to reconsider....

/ Anyone give up satellite TV for something like Netflix? #23  
I'd love to drop dish and just do streaming but we can't get fast enough internet where I live to do it.... Unless we use a cellular and use our phone or wifi hotspot but then we have to watch our data usage.

Limited internet capacity (speed/data limits) is the elephant in the room for rural folks. When you are paying $8/GB in Verizon data overage charges, 1 movie could cost $30 bucks!

/ Anyone give up satellite TV for something like Netflix? #24  
After years of trying, we finally got unlimited bandwidth out here in the sticks. Because of that we are on the precipice of canceling Direct TV which currently costs us a whopping $168/mo. We have signed up with those streaming channels that are embedded in Roku 3. HBO, CBS, AMC, Showtime are all poised to begin streaming in the near future. We will sign up for those as well and still be way under what Direct TV was sucking out of us. A roof antenna will take care of the local news.

/ Anyone give up satellite TV for something like Netflix? #25  
We went to internet only content in Jan 2014 and haven't looked back-Netflicks, Hulu and Amazon Prime. I have just signed up for Sling--which is Dish network's streaming service ~$20/month. You can stream a bunch of their channels live or watch anything that was on the previous 72 hours. The biggest downside of Sling is that you cannot skip/fast forward or avoid the commercials. It is like watching TV pre DVRs.

I'm really surprised that Sling hasn't been mentioned more here, especially since it includes ESPN which for many people is the killer app that keeps them tethered to cable and satellite. It looks pretty good at first glance: Dish's new Sling TV Internet TV service starts at $20, features ESPN, Disney Channel, CNN, TNT, and other channels - CNET

Except then you mention that you can't skip commercials. That is the first I've heard of that restriction and it would be a stone cold deal killer for me and I suspect for nearly everyone else. When our local CBS affiliate went off the DISH in a contract dispute, I signed up for CBS online which also has non-skippable commercials and my wife declared it unwatchable even though most of her favorite shows are on CBS.

It's kind of surprising that DISH would have this restriction given how hard they've fought against programmers (including in court) to keep features like auto-hop on their DVR service. I'm guessing that's what they had to agree to in order to get the rights to sell such good channels on Sling.

/ Anyone give up satellite TV for something like Netflix? #26  
How much data is used streaming a movie?

/ Anyone give up satellite TV for something like Netflix? #28  
Very timely thread for me. I just drastically cut back on my directv programing. Gonna save some $$. Problem is I really need amc, walking dead. Whats the best way for me to stream it?
How long after Sunday night do I have to wait?

/ Anyone give up satellite TV for something like Netflix? #29  
   / Anyone give up satellite TV for something like Netflix? #30  
Limited internet capacity (speed/data limits) is the elephant in the room for rural folks. When you are paying $8/GB in Verizon data overage charges, 1 movie could cost $30 bucks!

YES! Our ranch is in the boonies, no cable or OTA (over the air) TV. Our local internet service (via a microwave radio signal) only provides restricted bandwidth which precludes video streaming. It's better than satellite internet (which sucks) which used to be our only option. If we use too much bandwidth (streaming) we quickly get the following email:

"Ooops- You have exceeded 100% of the recommended bandwidth allotment of 4,000 MBs. per day(9am-9pm). Current usage is 4,750 MBs.
The electrical energy used is equal to 4- Refrigerators running 24/7 for a year! Wow!

Utubes and short videos are fine but full length TV shows and movies destroy the environment and kill the network, especially during prime time 6-9 PM.

This is only a warning as we are trying to avoid implementation of any set limits. Please help!
Thank you for your cooperation Video kills!"

Notice the sentence about energy consumption. They claim streaming is totally NOT green!

Thus, we subscribe to Direct TV (basic) and Netflix through the mail. Netflix mail service gives us the best selection of foreign and esoteric films, and Blue-Ray, making it preferable to streaming anyway.

Anyone care to comment on the excess energy consumption claim with streaming?