Corn Sheller

/ Corn Sheller #1  

bindian

Tractor
Mahindra 6520 4WD
I am wanting to grow field corn for my growing duck raising endeavor. I will be buying a corn sheller and was wondering if any American made electric corn shellers are on the market. I would even consider an old one powered by a tractor. Not really wanting hand cranked, but might go that way if I have to. Hand crank would be no fun, compared to hooking up the tractor to run one.
hugs, Brandi

/ Corn Sheller #2  
Some hand cranked mills and shellers have the option of mounting a v-belt pulley in place of the hand crank on the shaft. Then they can be used with an electric motor. You could probably find a suitable pulley for most.

Just FYI.

/ Corn Sheller #3  
Some hand cranked mills and shellers have the option of mounting a v-belt pulley in place of the hand crank on the shaft. Then they can be used with an electric motor. You could probably find a suitable pulley for most.

Just FYI.

You still see these conversions at auction. Electric really changed things on the farm.

/ Corn Sheller
Thanks Guys! I will look for a hand crank one that can be adapted to use a pulley instead of a crank.
hugs, Brandi

/ Corn Sheller #5  
Just FYI, the ones that typically can be made electric are the 'stand alone' versions... not that counter mount style. Do you already have some way to grind the corn? I am currently down to 12 pet ducks... buying cracked corn in the farm store got really expensive so I thinned the flock. I was able to locate a farm that is also a grain wholesaler... they sell by the bag and it is about half the price the farm store wants. Their corn is ground where I believe the stuff from the farm store is steam flaked. I will put up with more fines for 1/2 the price though ;)

/ Corn Sheller
Just FYI, the ones that typically can be made electric are the 'stand alone' versions... not that counter mount style. Do you already have some way to grind the corn? I am currently down to 12 pet ducks... buying cracked corn in the farm store got really expensive so I thinned the flock. I was able to locate a farm that is also a grain wholesaler... they sell by the bag and it is about half the price the farm store wants. Their corn is ground where I believe the stuff from the farm store is steam flaked. I will put up with more fines for 1/2 the price though ;)

What are referring to when you mention "fines"?
Brandi

/ Corn Sheller #7  
What are referring to when you mention "fines"?
Brandi

"Fines" are dust and small bits that result from grinding. I don't know which is better for ducks, whole kernel, ground, steam flaked ...

/ Corn Sheller
"Fines" are dust and small bits that result from grinding. I don't know which is better for ducks, whole kernel, ground, steam flaked ...

Your ducks will not mind any "fines". I just toss their food to them. That is, the chicken feed I supplement their roaming and feasting on 1/4 acre.
hugs, Brandi

/ Corn Sheller #9  
Your ducks will not mind any "fines". I just toss their food to them. That is, the chicken feed I supplement their roaming and feasting on 1/4 acre.
hugs, Brandi

I don't have ducks, just answering your question about "fines."

The difference to the animal is that they may not extract as much nutrition from whole kernel grains as ground grains--you feed more weight in whole grain to get the same nutritional result. Whole grain may cost less, ground grain may mean more waste but is an easy way to add diet supplements to the feed. Pros and cons.

As I say, I don't know the relative difference specifically for ducks, whole or ground. I know ducks love to chase whole kernel corn tossed into their pond. :)

/ Corn Sheller #10  
Yes the 'fines' in cracked corn are basically corn meal or corn flour type stuff. My ducks don't like whole kernel corn, I tried some as a test and they just left it in the bowl. I also tried some cracked barley which had a fair amount of screenings (chaff etc.) in it... they just looked at me like I was stupid ;) When I mixed it 50/50 with corn they would eat the corn and leave most of the barley/screenings. For something that dabbles in the dirt around the pond and the fields when they are being irrigated I didn't think they would be that picky. :rolleyes: fortunately the tweety birds, quail etc. are not that picky and cleaned up the rest. I went back to the cracked corn.

Corn does take a fair amount of water, especially during the 'kernel fill' stage so that is something to think about, I know TX has been dry/in drought.

Is your motivator to keep down expenses or just to try something new?