Replace R-22 unit or upgrade?

/ Replace R-22 unit or upgrade? #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
This is at the 3-unit appts I own. One of the units has an issue with the HP. Prior to my ownership another company was out there about two years ago and replaced the compressor. I have had my guy out there and the new issue seems to be something not allowing refrigerant to get to the compressor. (This was about a month ago and was too cold to do much so I am going off memory).

He said something about one of the valves in the system being blocked or something. And for the time and labor to to try to find the issue, then fix, I would be money ahead to just drop a new outdoor unit in there. This is only a 1.5 Ton unit, and a new r22 dry outdoor unit set + labor would be in the $1000-$1200 range.

But he also put a bug in my ear about just upgrading to a 410a unit since they are phasing out the R22. This would require a new indoor unit as well since the coil sizing and pressures are different. He estimates this to be about double the cost. $2k-$2500.

So....what would you do. If this was my house, I would probably upgrade. But for the appts.....

I have also read about a refrigerant called dupont isceon. From my reading it is an R22 substitute that dont require a whole new system. Rather just a new filter/dryer, and new seals on the schrader valves. But wondering if this is a long-term solution.

With the phase out over the next 5 years, my HVAC guy is concerned that if I ever have any more issues, I will be forced to upgrade. And dont want me to spend a grand on a unit that will be obsolete and unable to service in 5 years. I know a lot can change in 5 years though. IS this Isceon a silver bullet?

/ Replace R-22 unit or upgrade? #2  
The key for me is: If this was my house, I would probably upgrade. But for the appts.....

Unless you're going to sell the apts in the next 5 years.... You would be ahead to replace the unit instead of patching. Like the trucks with Cummins diesel engines... the engine is good but the rest of the truck is falling apart. The evap coils is old, the inside blower motor is old....
Regardless of the unit... new or old... you pay for repairs. Is the future repair worth the hassle?

/ Replace R-22 unit or upgrade?
If it was my house, I would also go for the highest efficiency unit I can. But it is not my electric bill so I see no need to do so. Especially since they are efficient appts anyway. Spending extra money on high efficiency doesnt gain me anything.

Sure, the indoor unit is older too. But the only thing with moving parts is the blower. Which are cheap and I can change myself without an expensive HVAC contractor.

The bulk of issues, and bulk of moving parts is in the outdoor unit. Which is gonna be all new regardless of R22 or R410a.

I just hate the thought of replacing all the indoor stuff that is still good. And spending twice as much money to change refrigerant, when alot can still happen in 5 years. Just dont want to be kicking myself if there is an alternative. Like an R22 replacement that dont require a total system change....like I think the Isceon is from what I have read.?????

Or worse, spend a ton of money converting all 3 units over the next few years to 410a, only to find out the Gov't decides its no good either and have to do it all over again:mur:

/ Replace R-22 unit or upgrade? #4  
IMO, central AC units don't require a lot of work and last a long time. Ours is 17+ yrs old and I replaced the compressor fan motor a few year back and that is all. Still running strong. A new R22 unit should last a very long time. True, any fixes will get increasingly harder, but that should be far enough out that if/when it happens, you go 410 then anyways. Stick with the cheaper option here and when the next unit craps out, decide then to go 410 or not based on the same logic. It may be many years and 22 won't be available. Or not. If I was installing new (like I just did last year in our new house), I would go 410 for sure.

So 1 vote for each right now.

I will probably go the cheaper route and hope for another 15 trouble free years. And If I do have issues, thats why I was asking about the ISCEON stuff. Anybody know anything about it other than what I have already read that can shed some light?

/ Replace R-22 unit or upgrade? #6  
It is a appt. Go the cheapest route, you never know what tomorrow brings and does no good to worry.

/ Replace R-22 unit or upgrade? #7  
The dry charge 22 units are at least 13 SEER

I will last 15+ years. Go for it

paul

So 3 to 1 now. Looks like I will go with what my gut was telling me....r-22.

The point about not knowing what tomorrow brings is just what I was thinking. I have no plans to sell anytime soon, or even in the next 30 years, but never know what can happen.

/ Replace R-22 unit or upgrade? #9  
I bought 2 complete dry r-22 units to replace my 410a units.

I bought 2 complete dry r-22 units to replace my 410a units.

Why would you go backwards?

Assume you also had to change the furnace indoors? or at least the coil?