New Spotlight

/ New Spotlight #1  

DT86

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota
Calving season has arrived. That means a lot of late nights.

It came to my attention tonight that my spot light has bit the dust. I suspect the battery has corroded, because I can't even pry it loose from the base. It is a Brinkman Max Million, it worked great last year even in -0 temps in. I could go that route again but the fact it doesn't work now turns me off a bit.

Anyway, if you know of a light that is rechargeable and can be 12v cord powered once it's dead, at least 2 million candle power and will last more than a year being banged around on the farm, please let me know.

These little guys and their half brothers and sisters say thanks.

image-3643515452.jpg

/ New Spotlight #2  
I saw a homemade one once that I found interesting. Basically the guy had taken a gallon antifreeze jug and cut three sides of a square hole in the back. He made the hole large enough to slide a motorcycle battery in. Before the battery went in he installed a suitable tractor headlamp (I would go with an LED light), a switch and all the necessary wiring. Once the battery was in then he just made a few wraps with duct tape to hold the flap for the hole closed. A bit of bubble wrap or foam around the battery kept it snug in the antifreeze jug.

He also had it rigged so that once he was in the truck the "flashlight" was recharged by plugging it into the cigarette lighter outlet. It was always charged and he had it when he needed it. If anything inside ever needed replacing it was easy enough to do.

/ New Spotlight
That's not a bad idea. However, for what I'm doing it needs to be a spot light able to project a very long way.

I've ran a few tests with my DeWalt XRP 18v batteries and a 4" 27w LED flood lamp. We set it up one night while we were messing around out side, it gave over two hours of light! That is much longer than the DeWalt flashlight and was a larger area of usable light.

Making it a portable cordless "trouble light" had me stumped. I thought about a ammo can but its big and clumsy. The gallon jug idea may just work for that project.

/ New Spotlight
No more looking for a new light, I went back with the attitude that since it didn't work anyway I was being too gentle trying to get the battery out. Turns out it was just dust that had the battery stuck, not corrosion. Digging around everything inside looked good. Not sure what I expected but was surprised to find it used a H3 bulb.

Next I tested the 12v plug and it was bad. Took it apart and found a broken wire. Soldered it up and it's working now.

All it took was 15 minutes of tinkering and I've saved at least $50.

/ New Spotlight #5  
Good Job. I tend to just toss them when they stop working and get a new one. Probably could have saved some money if I had taken the time like you did.

Eddie

/ New Spotlight
Eddie, with the amount of other projects you have I can understand tossing something as cheap as a spot light.

The problem I have now is that the wall charger won't charge the battery. I've took the battery pack apart but haven't found a replacement yet.

Any ideas?

image-4192552540.jpg

/ New Spotlight
image-3547290730.jpg