aussie ute

/ aussie ute #1  

daedong

Veteran Member
As a result of the free trade agreement Holden have anounced it will probably export the holden ute to the US within two years acompanying the monaro. I understand you don't have any vehicle similar. utes here are legendary.

/ aussie ute #2  
Is this the one you are refering to? If so there are not many like it around anymore. There used to be the Ford Ranchero and the Chevy El Camino that were the same idea but those cars were from a long time ago (before my time). I do not think this car will work here in the states. Not too many people want a car/truck. Most people want a truck/car (truck that has the feel and ride of a car but strength of a truck).

img_vyIIsute.jpg

/ aussie ute #3  
Don't be so sure about that Robert.

I still see El Camino's, Ranchero's and that Dodge Omni mini car/truck thing running around.

If they can produce a car/truck that got good mileage I am sure it would be a hit. I think people are getting tired of the gas hogs.

SUV is getting to be a bad thing. I think the SUV's that have the Indiana "Environmental License Plates" are a real joke.

/ aussie ute #5  
With the whole retro design thing that is going on, I could see Chevy bringing it over. Redo the front to match the Monte Carlo and call it the El Camino SS. The lines are very close. It really wouldn't be retro but it would be bringing an old name back. GM is doing it with the Monaro, bringing it over and calling it the GTO. WHen I heard that they were bringing the GTO back, figured they would stick a GTO decal on a Grand Prix and jack the price up. I am proud to see that they are keeping it V8 and rear wheel drive. Too bad this GTO isn't built in the USA. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ aussie ute #6  
If that thing has got 4wd I could get excited /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ aussie ute
The monaro had to resemble the original monaro built in the 70s or it would not have sold. Here in Australia the holden monaro and GT ford falcon were icons of the time, there was great rivalry between the two. Touring car success at Bathurst during the 70s was big time for the Holden and Ford market

found this website

http://www.aussiecoupes.com/aussiemuscle.html

/ aussie ute #8  
Couldn't open your Yahoo Page but I got kick out of this page.

I was hoping to see a Aussie 69 Mustang.

/ aussie ute #9  
Nice vehicle, I think I have seen that on tv not to long ago about selling them here... But think if they plan for it to sell here they better offer it as 4door. gas milage or not around bama u see tons of 4dr trucks....now a days compared to what there used to be.

I know I would consider a 4dr vehicle that had a bed on it and gets 25+ ml per gallon. Since I don't need to tow often.

/ aussie ute #10  
The ford rachero was an Aussi design to start with. The high performance ford division in Austraila is called Tickford (SP) they make a nice car. Many of the Australian cars still use 4 l straigt sixs. They have a LOT of torque. I used to pull my 20 cutty cabin inboard and launch and retrive the boat with my 98 ford falcon. Great car, full size with a beauty of a ride.

More power to the Aussies if they can get them into this market. The cars are designed for extream heat and duty cycle. I would buy one again.

Dane

PS dadong, did yuou have a shaggin wagon when you were younger?