Have to fix electric dog fence; how to find wire break?

/ Have to fix electric dog fence; how to find wire break? #1  

Coyote machine

Tractor
22 SANY SY 50U, '10 Kioti DK 40se/hst KL-401 FEL, loaded tires, KB-2485 bhoe, Tuffline TB160 BB, Woods QA forks, MIE Hydraulic bhoe thumb & ripper tooth, Igland 4001 winch, & GR-20 Log Grapple. Woods BBX72" Brush Mower. Diamondplate aluminum canopy
Have a long run of Invisible fence wire that has a break somewhere. It's become a problem because our younger Lab has figured out it nolonger has to stay in the perimeter.

Any ideas on how to fix it? There is still tons of snow on our spread so following and pulling the wire is difficult at best.
I need to get it repaired ASAP.

Any thoughts solutions appreciated.

TIA,

CM

/ Have to fix electric dog fence; how to find wire break? #2  
you could randomly locate the wire and check for continuity, between sections. I cant remember if those have a voltage output or not from the sending unit. we had one years ago, but I don't remember exactly how it worked. I think its a radio signal and tbh im not sure how to test that. Im sure some of the other guys may have better ideas.

/ Have to fix electric dog fence; how to find wire break? #3  
I used a RF choke and am radio to find a break in mine. Worked out great. The link below will walk you through it. If you have an old battery operated am radio then your only out of pocket expense is the RF choke which is less than $2. I found it at my local Radio Shack.

Finding and Fixing a Wire Break

/ Have to fix electric dog fence; how to find wire break?
Thanks guys for your responses.:thumbsup:

I verified the break is in the perimeter wire, some of which is buried in deep snow.

Now I have to figure out a way to locate the break. I know about the AM radio, and tracing it that way, but it didn't work so well when I tried it a number of years ago with the cheap junk radio sent to me by an online dog fence company. I can't think of their name after all the time that's past.....

I was wondering if a tone generator would work in this type of use? If so, how would I deploy it?
Any place to get an inexpensive one, that would work?

Thanks TBNers.

/ Have to fix electric dog fence; how to find wire break? #5  
I suppose wearing the collar and walking the route until you get a zap wouldn't work, eh? :D

/ Have to fix electric dog fence; how to find wire break? #6  
I've always heard to use an AM radio. There is something called a DFNA locator you can buy. Do a youtube search and you'll get lots of info. Good luck. (A lot of the time the breaks are at splices which work their way apart so start in the area of them.)

/ Have to fix electric dog fence; how to find wire break? #7  
I have several tone generators to find sprinkler wire.

You can use them to find just about any kind of wire, cable, etc.

Lowe's or Home Depot have small tone generators to find house wiring and circuit breakers.

Last edited:
   / Have to fix electric dog fence; how to find wire break? #8  
I know the wire is spendy, but one option is to run new wire on top of the ground for containment now. Then when weather is better, you can find your break more easily.

/ Have to fix electric dog fence; how to find wire break? #9  
Tone generator and probe is the best way unless you happen to know an outside plant guy at the local phone company that can get a hound dog.
Below are some links.
Search Results for tone generator at The Home Depot

Connect one side to the wire and take a nail or something metal and stick in the ground to use as a ground rod and connect the other side to that. If it has the option set the tone generator to warble vs a straight tone.

/ Have to fix electric dog fence; how to find wire break?
I suppose wearing the collar and walking the route until you get a zap wouldn't work, eh? :D

Let me grab a new battery, when will you be arriving for collar fitting?

I've always heard to use an AM radio. There is something called a DFNA locator you can buy. Do a youtube search and you'll get lots of info. Good luck. (A lot of the time the breaks are at splices which work their way apart so start in the area of them.)

I'll look up DFNA, thanks.

I have several tone generators to find sprinkler wire.

You can use the to find just about any kind of wire, cable, etc.

Lowes or Home Depot have small tone generators to find house wiring and circuit breakers.

Thanks, I'll look at H.D, no Lowes near me.

I know the wire is spendy, but one option is to run new wire on top of the ground for containment now. Then when weather is better, you can find your break more easily.

I like that idea. I do have some extra wire; and if I can just locate the area, I could splice around it from bare ground to bare ground, instead of the entire perimeter.

Tone generator and probe is the best way unless you happen to know an outside plant guy at the local phone company that can get a hound dog.
Below are some links.
Search Results for*tone generator*at The Home Depot

Hound dog; is that a technical term?

Connect one side to the wire and take a nail or something metal and stick in the ground to use as a ground rod and connect the other side to that. If it has the option set the tone generator to warble vs a straight tone

I can pull the two wires from the fence transmitter control box/board and attach one wire to the tone gen and the other to the ground of a three prong outlet, (the wires are in my shed), then go around with the tone probe and earbuds/ headphones to see if I can find the break. Would that means of grounding work?

Thanks.