Another Craigs list funny

/ Another Craigs list funny #1  

newbury

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota's - B7610, M4700
So there's a list of beekeeping supplies which I had planned on buying. It's MOSTLY but not all "new unused" and pics look good and the stuff looks relatively new. But the seller wants $300 OBO and says they paid $350.

But sometimes sellers forget to put another item in.

So I go through the list and itemize the prices they would be at a local beek shop (not cheap mailorder prices) and show the seller I could buy virtually all of them new today for $249 and ask if they might have left out an item.

The seller basically replies they know the prices at that shop but bought them elsewhere and give them an offer.

Well I'll normally give about 1/2 price so I respond - never mind, if your expecting $300 good luck and have a good day.

They respond they'll take $250, bottom line.

This is almost as bad as the guy's who pick up the HF freebies and try to sell them for $10.

When will people realize that just because they vastly overpay for something it doesn't mean it's worth more?

If I can go to Home Depot and buy a load of organic fertilizer any day of the week for $400, or buy the exact same fertilizer elsewhere for $800, to me it's only worth $400 regardless. It's all the same <4 letter word for organic fertilizer>.

/ Another Craigs list funny #2  
I've seen this at auctions. Used stuff selling for more then they could have bought it brand new. It's like they don't have a smart phone and never thought to look up what it costs online.

Eddie

/ Another Craigs list funny #3  
Auctions are really comical to watch some folks bid, they just get caught up in the frenzy and keep bidding till someone gets their sanity back and stop bidding so they get the item. My BIL went to a small animal auction a few days ago and common breed roosters were selling for $17 each and other animals also sold at ridiculously high prices. He went to buy some sheep but didn't. I saw a beat up 16 foot landscape trailer sell for $1700 and floor was rotting out, tires were bald, fenders were beat all to He!! plus no paint at all left on it. A new one like it could have been bought for $1800 at the time.
Sometimes (rarely) you can get a bargain at an auction, it all depends on the buyers present and if they have done their homework.

/ Another Craigs list funny #4  
I've found a few great deals at the auction, but usually what happens is that the item I'm there for or wanting sells for more then what I think it's worth and I quit bidding. Best deal I got was my riding ditch witch trencher for $3,500 with a 60hp duetz diesel engine and six way blade. I changed the cutting teeth and put a new battery in it and it's been an awesome machine.

/ Another Craigs list funny #5  
It is amazing. I have bought at auction and people tell me congratulations you got it.
I respond with yes but I paid more than anyone else was willing to pay.
I usually pass on 95% of items at auction because the price is out of line with the value.

Went to a gun auction and watched people pay more for rifles that had not had good care than you could go to Cabelas and buy the same model new.

/ Another Craigs list funny #6  
Funny you mention the gun auctions. People get stupid at them. The only time I have seen good deals on guns at auction is if it wasnt listed well cause the guns werent a big ticket item. Like an estate sale where the guy had a few rifles or shotguns.

But just a last weekend I think, there was a gun shop that the owner passed and they were selling everything. Typical new no frills 10/22 that sell for ~$200-$225 sold for 300+. Some of the fancier versions that sell for $299 went for $375+. Some Taurus 9mm pistols that sell for $299 were going for 400-450. Mossberg shotguns going for 400 bucks.

Most of the guns sold were pretty common ones that are in weekly sales flyers at several locations around here. All someone needed to do was take one of these flyers with them :confused2:

/ Another Craigs list funny #7  
Went to a factory closing auction last Tuesday.
Very tacky tactics IMHO.
Auction was in Canada but bidding was in US$. add 25% ie your bid is 125% (100$us=125$cdn)+GST+PST
Then add auction fee of 15% (plus GST + PST)

So you bid $100 and it costs you about $175.
We stayed for about 50 lots and walked out as all told folks were paying anywhere from 25% to 50% above actual new retail prices.
Couple of items were a steal as they were out of place but all in all I basically was disgusted with the whole thing.
When asked why US$ the auctioneer said that was the currency that items were purchased in.
Yeah, all Canadians buy in US$ every day.

To make it even less palatable it was a theater setup with projected photos on 2 ea 48" computer screens.
Then they played the game of bidding is for each item while showing a quantity and to further confuse occasionally switch for to a lot price.
Naturally they demanded a deposit up front when issuing a bidder No, that way you can't back out of a bid.

/ Another Craigs list funny #8  
#1. Know the current prices of new and used items before going to an auction.
#2. Set yourself a maximum price you're willing to pay for any item, and stick to it.

/ Another Craigs list funny #9  
Craig's list had 3 Ton Steel Jack Stands, no price. E-mailed and he said he bought them for $60/ea. but would take $30. Same Pittsburgh Automotive ones at Horrible Fright, which was on sale for $18/ea. the same weekend.

Last edited:
   / Another Craigs list funny #10  
Sometimes the advertisements....
I want to see one of y'all mow with this.
7 Foot Finishing Mower

Craigslist%20-%20not%20a%20finish%20mower_zpsmeogodzn.jpg