Ice maker use from freezer on fridge bottom topic

/ Ice maker use from freezer on fridge bottom topic #1  

buickanddeere

Tractor
Deere, several
It appears that some households use a lot of ice ??? Is it a regional or cultural custom ? We have never had an ice maker since 1941 when power was connected to the farm.the only ice maker that we have ever used is a pair of one dozen cube trays in the freezer section. Unless making home made ice cream , then we just freeze a few old yogurt tubs ice ice .

/ Ice maker use from freezer on fridge bottom topic #2  
It appears that some households use a lot of ice ??? Is it a regional or cultural custom ? We have never had an ice maker since 1941 when power was connected to the farm.the only ice maker that we have ever used is a pair of one dozen cube trays in the freezer section. Unless making home made ice cream , then we just freeze a few old yogurt tubs ice ice .

The ice cubes in my freezer dry up and get freezer burn mostly. ;-)

They taste bad when they get that way. We always toss out the old ice and put in a couple of fresh filled trays before inviting guests over when ice might be wanted.

/ Ice maker use from freezer on fridge bottom topic #3  
In Texas almost every drink has ice except beer and it's served best very cold. Iced tea year round.
I use the ice from the ice maker all the time. In the summer I fill up a ice chest with ice when we go to the store so the veggies won't cook if we make a second stop.

In the past, cheese at the top of the ice chest would melt.

/ Ice maker use from freezer on fridge bottom topic #4  
I use a lot of ice in a cooler in the summer and found it's easier to buy freezer storage containers (about 1 qt. size) and fill with water and freeze.
They come out of the container easily can be used over and over.
I chip them with an ice pick.
Around here store bought ice is kept about 31.9 degrees in the merchandisers and melts very fast!
My 0* ice some will still be in the cooler at the end of the day!

/ Ice maker use from freezer on fridge bottom topic #5  
We rarely use ice cubes- just let the water run cold from the tap. Once in a while I might use a cube or two - but they are a pain to bother with- so I don't. Soda or juice just sits in the fridge until it's gone. -regional thing.

/ Ice maker use from freezer on fridge bottom topic #6  
In Texas almost every drink has ice except beer and it's served best very cold. Iced tea year round.
I use the ice from the ice maker all the time. In the summer I fill up a ice chest with ice when we go to the store so the veggies won't cook if we make a second stop.

In the past, cheese at the top of the ice chest would melt.

I've never had the cheese melt, but all the rest of this post is just what we do.:laughing:

I'm old enough to remember when we had the metal ice trays with a lever you pulled up to break the ice cubes loose from the tray. The plastic trays that you twisted to loosen the cubes was a step up, but now I'd hate to have a refrigerator without an ice maker.

My wife drinks coffee all day, but doesn't want it hot. If it's fresh, she's going to put an ice cube in it. I drink 3 or 4 cups of fresh coffee when I get up in the morning, but then I keep a glass of ice water handy the rest of the day.

/ Ice maker use from freezer on fridge bottom topic #7  
No ice cubes used here. Anytime we do decide to make them in the freezer we forget about them and then they shrink and taste disgusting and just take up room.

/ Ice maker use from freezer on fridge bottom topic #8  
Try making ice using distilled water.
If you're like me, you'll never want any other.
It even looks better!

/ Ice maker use from freezer on fridge bottom topic #9  
I don't want an icemaker in the freezer; too much possibility of a leak and resultant damage.

Same reason I want the clothes washer in the basement (assuming I have a basement.) Minimal damage if it leaks.

Plus, if I need a lot of ice in a short period of time, I have found that as long as I pay attention I can crank out ice faster with trays than an freezer-mounted ice maker can.

/ Ice maker use from freezer on fridge bottom topic #10  
I'm sitting here drinking a glass of water from a door mounted exterior access ice maker on a bottom freezer fridge.