One Man Gas Auger

/ One Man Gas Auger #1  

ustmd

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti CK27 HST
If I ever even think about another project using one of these, you all have my permission to smack me upside the head and say " Stop being cheap--rent the bigger equipment".

Last time I used one was 9 years ago for some poles for the dog run and it kicked my *****. Since then, I have hired out all of the post hole digging to local guy (Sam) who has a skid steer.

Stupid me, I am putting in some field fencing to keep my dogs on my property and decided to use the one man auger to dig 17 holes. Didn't call Sam because of the timing and concerned about whether he would be able to get his equipment in without ripping up the yard.

My black gumbo clay soil and 1 man augers just don't get along...

Six hours later and I am a whipped puppy. Already took 800 mg of ibuprofen in anticipation of how sore I will be tomorrow.

Never again.

/ One Man Gas Auger #2  
If I ever even think about another project using one of these, you all have my permission to smack me upside the head and say " Stop being cheap--rent the bigger equipment".

Last time I used one was 9 years ago for some poles for the dog run and it kicked my *****. Since then, I have hired out all of the post hole digging to local guy (Sam) who has a skid steer.

Stupid me, I am putting in some field fencing to keep my dogs on my property and decided to use the one man auger to dig 17 holes. Didn't call Sam because of the timing and concerned about whether he would be able to get his equipment in without ripping up the yard.

My black gumbo clay soil and 1 man augers just don't get along...

Six hours later and I am a whipped puppy. Already took 800 mg of ibuprofen in anticipation of how sore I will be tomorrow.

Never again.

You're just up the road from me. You should have borrowed my 3pt PHD.

Know why they call it a PHD? It works smarter, not harder. :laughing:

/ One Man Gas Auger #3  
I'm not even sure why these things are legal - lol. I thought I had shattered both wrists the last time I used one. Never again. If I have to punch anymore holes, you'll see me buying a 3pt.

/ One Man Gas Auger #4  
My brother and I rented a 2 man years ago to install his new fence. His wet clay was so bad the auger would screw into the ground and kill the engine. It was like screwing in a deck screw! We would have to put 10 foot long cheater bar on to unscrew the auger from the ground and start over. What a job!

/ One Man Gas Auger #5  
:D" Never again. If I have to punch anymore holes, you'll see me buying a 3pt. "

I got tired of swmbo asking (decoding that means "ordered me") to dig more holes for her flowers/shrubs. I went and got a PHD from TSC when they were on sale and had a 15% off coupon. Used it on the old 8N but I'm just sitting on go to get the new kabota out...when she asks me again.

/ One Man Gas Auger #6  
I had the displeasure of using a two man auger. I'm not a little guy, over 6' tall, my buddy on the other side of the auger makes me look like a midget. That stupid thing kicked both of our a**es.

Never again.

/ One Man Gas Auger #7  
Long ago I rented a two man and my buddy and I dug 80 holes. Ground was actually fairly soft for the first foot or so then sandy loam with various rock sizes. But it wasn't the rocks that kicked our behinds... we were fencing around my property line that was through a lot of second growth cedar and fir trees. When the auger bit hit an unexpected root the auger would hip check us both hard and it was all we could do to stay standing. I was sore for a week!

/ One Man Gas Auger #8  
TTIWWOP (video preferred) ;)

/ One Man Gas Auger #9  
I rented a one man, then a two man, the bought a 3pt PHD. If you have loose dirt they might work, but here they spin the men, not the auger.

/ One Man Gas Auger #10  
I've been thinking about buying one of those. But now I don't think I will. lol