More pressure waher questions

/ More pressure waher questions #1  

Rat Rod Mac

Silver Member
I just bought a used pressure washer with a froze up pump. Engine runs fine. Says 9 H.P. 3400 p.s.I. Couple of questions for you guys,,, first who makes a "GOOD" pump that I can put on this thing that will last. I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for, so I'm not worried about pinching penny's. With a 9 horse engine I'm sure there is a limit on what pump can be run. I'm guessing 3000 - 3500 p.s.I. with around 2.5 - 3.5 gallons per minute. I know this is going to sound like the Chevy vrs. Ford deal, but I see many pumps available and don't know which to look at. I see CAT is supposed to be a good one, why I don't know and Karcher has been mentioned. One other thing, a buddy had one the he used and put it away and the next time he used it the pump was junk. Is there some kind of solution that can be run through the pump when you're finished using it that will protect the pistons, some kind of oil. Thank for your suggestions and I'm sure I'll be back with more. Thanks again. RRM

/ More pressure waher questions #2  
I believe the pump on my PW is Italian made... No problems in the 5 yrs I've owned it... It's a Northstar from northern tools... They have many PW pumps and other PW items

/ More pressure waher questions #3  
I have a troy-bilt that had a model 1903 pump on it. After one rebuild it blew again, 11 years old though. The 5HP Honda was still in great shape so I couldn't justify any more than just replaceing the pump. Bought one from here Pressure Washer Parts and Accessories and couldn't be more pleased. Man, huge step up from the 1903. Seems that it is a 3,400 psi pump and my 5HP pulls it just fine.

They also sell "pump saver" which is something you run into the pump after use.

/ More pressure waher questions #4  
CAT and General Pump are both good. It will depend a bit on which style pump you need to match the original.

/ More pressure waher questions #5  
I have what I considered to be a "knockoff" type 3500PSI pressure washer from a company called "Spartan". Has a LCT engine on it (although I just learned Husqvarna also uses LCT engines on some machines too so maybe they're not so bad), no clue the brand of pump, but it has held up wonderfully with a lot of use and outdoor storage under a flap of rubber for several years (2008 I think).

/ More pressure waher questions #6  
I hear so much bad talk about all the home owner class of pressure washers, however I have one that I have used quite a bit and have no idea of the brand of pump or motor (not Honda or Briggs)but it cranks on about the second pull every time and the pump still works as it should. It is a 2600 PSI SIMONIZ brand on it that I bought at Canadian Tire in Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada in 2000. The only thing I have ever did for maintenance is that I unhook all the hoses when I finish and pull the starter cord a few times to discharge all the water from the pump. I also take out all the gas and store it with a dry tank and carb. It has been stored in unheated garage all the time I have owned it and still works like a champ

/ More pressure waher questions #7  
my karcher is not very old, and looses pressure while spraying. I have to take the nozzle off, spray some water out, put the nozzle back on, and then it will usually pick up pressure again. If I stop, it won't pick up pressure. I always assumed it was because I am on well water, and thought the pump wasn' t supplying the required flow. But this weekend, used it on city water, and it did the same thing.

/ More pressure waher questions #9  
thanks. Lots of info there.

/ More pressure waher questions #10  
my karcher is not very old, and looses pressure while spraying. I have to take the nozzle off, spray some water out, put the nozzle back on, and then it will usually pick up pressure again. If I stop, it won't pick up pressure. I always assumed it was because I am on well water, and thought the pump wasn' t supplying the required flow. But this weekend, used it on city water, and it did the same thing.

Exact same problem with mine. The seals in the axial pump are worn and it won't produce enough flow to build pressure . Found a company in Toronto on eBay and kijiji that sells a 3/4" hollow ceramic triplex 15mm pump for the 6.5HP class.
$230 plus tax and shipping . Can't go wrong with that. By the time I find Viton o'rings for the worn axial pump and install them . May as well have a triplex pump.