OMG! (Oh my god) Our society will never survive.

/ OMG! (Oh my god) Our society will never survive. #1  

Silvic

Gold Member
Tractor
I put this in Rural living as the last thread Today's high school seniors.....ouch. was here and this is along the same lines.

Just had a survey phone call.:(
Most of the time I just say not interested and hang up but this time my curiosity was piqued and I stayed on the line.
The survey was initially about quality of rivers, streams and lakes and the environment in the Puget Sound area. I live in the Puget Sound area so it was at least regionally correct.

I do not want this to go political which it could so please don't go there.

This is more like the Today's high school seniors.....ouch. thread in which I could not believe the lack of knowledge/education of the individual on the other end of the phone.(the one conducting the survey)

Now I am pretty certain that by law these folks have to be at least 18 (could be wrong) but by voice I would have guessed the young male (I refuse to call him a young man as that implies a level of growth and education that did not exist) was in his mid 20's.

One of my answers was the EPA. He said: "What is the EPA?" My reply the "Environmental Protection Agency" with a up lift of voice inflection to try to indicate my confusion as to why I had to define the EPA in a survey about water quality.

It does not matter what you think about the EPA; good, bad, or indifferent, it is a known acronym especially in the context of a water quality and the environment survey.

Two questions later I said EPA again. His response was: "Now, EPA is what again?"

At that point I said: "Now I don't want to be insulting but is this survey farmed out to someone in another country or are you here in the States?" (he spoke good English)
Response: "I am here in Washington, I live in Seattle."
Me: "And you have not heard of the EPA?"
Response: "Not really"
Me: "OK lets continue with the survey anyway."

I am sorry, as I said; how can anyone not have heard of the EPA. Yes maybe not a roll-off the tip of your tongue familiarity but to stumble twice and and not know of it.

WOW!:confused2: We as a society are done!:shocked::shocked: Put a fork in us. We are beyond the point of no return. When a young male who has supposedly reached adulthood does not even have a passing familiarity with the term EPA and then when defined as the Environmental Protection Agency there is still no recognition we are beyond hope. The education system has failed us and the young of the country.

Where do we go from here? How do we recover? I think we have failed and do not see how a recovery from the decline of knowledge and education can ever be made.

Last edited:
   / OMG! (Oh my god) Our society will never survive. #2  
Re: OMG! Our society will never survive.

I put this in Rural living as the last thread Today's high school seniors.....ouch. was here and this is along the same lines.

Just had a survey phone call.:(
[clip]

Where do we go from here? How do we recover? I think we have failed and do not see how a recovery from the decline of knowledge and education can ever be made.

I bet that "young male could school us both an a few three letter acronyms that go along with his daily experience and culture.

Generation gap is not new.... ;-)

/ OMG! (Oh my god) Our society will never survive. #3  

OMG?

My brother used to say he hated TLA's. You know, three letter acronyms.

/ OMG! (Oh my god) Our society will never survive.

Yes but when I said Environmental Protection Agency he still was without a clue. EPA is nor exactly an obscure term since it is in the news at least 3 times weekly for one reason or the other.

Additionally the name Environmental Protection Agency is not exactly obscure either.

/ OMG! (Oh my god) Our society will never survive. #5  

Many "surveys" today are not being done by quality pollsters who are interested in gauging the publics opinion.
They don't care what you think .
They know marketing, media and advertising works! That's why they spend billions on influencing people's behavior/emotions.

Many surveys today are "push-polls" that are really just disguised propaganda tools being pushed by some special interest group, or political candidate.
They don't hire the brightest folks to sit in the boiler room phone bank, the name of the game is to hire as many cheap and reach as many ears as possible.
Sometimes you can identify it's a push-poll when they ask question like: "Knowing that Candidate Jones loves taxes and beats his wife, while Candidate Smith is a honored hero who adopts stray puppies, which candidate would you say you're most likely to vote for?" -I exaggerate, but not by much.

/ OMG! (Oh my god) Our society will never survive. #6  

Yes but when I said Environmental Protection Agency he still was without a clue. EPA is nor exactly an obscure term since it is in the news at least 3 times weekly for one reason or the other.

Additionally the name Environmental Protection Agency is not exactly obscure either.

The news?? ........ You listen to that propaganda? ;-)

/ OMG! (Oh my god) Our society will never survive.

No you do not exaggerate, CobyRupert, I know exactly what you mean.

A high school civics class of my day would have talked/taught about it, if the EPA existed then, which it did not. Thus either the education system is worse than I thought, and I think it is pretty bad, because even the lowest graduate should have at least had name recognition when I explained it not once but twice

/ OMG! (Oh my god) Our society will never survive. #8  
It's a bit too much to extrapolate that since one uninformed teenager doesn't know what the EPA is, that "We as a society are done". Really? Are you serious? I don't think your sample is big enough.

/ OMG! (Oh my god) Our society will never survive. #9  
Want a larger sample? Ask almost any high school senior ... What is the Bill Of Rights?

/ OMG! (Oh my god) Our society will never survive. #10  
Even better ask a high school senior who the Vice President of the United States is or the Speaker of the House or Representatives or how a bill becomes law...... I have a first year college student. She gets "A"s and received the President's Gold scholarship to help pay for her college...

She couldn't care less about civics or politics and has no interest voting for either party.