Work boots

/ Work boots #11  
RedWing Irish Setters when its dry - - Mucks when its sloppy.

/ Work boots #12  
I have size 15 4E feet, so red wings are out for me, they don't make past size 14. I really love my timberland boots, and would choose them over shoes anyway when going for a long walk with the family.
For wet, damp, snow, in the dirt, or just something quick to slip on I wear Dunlop thermor rubber boots. I absolutely love them. They are warm in winter, cool in summer. Unlike any other rubber boots I have ever owned. I probably wear them 40% of the year!

/ Work boots #13  
I primarily wear just cheap shoes from walmart, and average about 6-9 months of wear. used to wear Red Wings but couldn't get a pair to last more than 6 weeks. The toes would come loose on the ones with the clear looking sole, and would pull the leather loose from the heels on the vibram sewn on sole boots.

/ Work boots #14  
Though I no longer have to wear steel toes, I still have some around that I wear for doing mowing and trimming or when I work with our horses. I should say composite toes because they were allowed on my last job before I pulled the plug. I found that the composites were much more comfortable than the steel toes.

I like Red Wing shoes but I had a pair of RW steel toes that I could only describe as "cruel". I don't recall the model. The length seemed correct but the heel was loose on me which is not usually an issue with shoes for me. When the shoe flexed it seemed to pinch my insole where the steel ended.

/ Work boots #15  
I think Redwing is living on their PAST name! Their boots no longer last like they use to! And, when I took my last pair in for repair, after only 2 yrs of light use, my dealer/repair place told me they (Redwings) have problems, he see's it all the time! He told me to pitch them and buy new! I bought AMERICAN made to get a better made "rebuild able" boot, not to have a throw away boot! I pitched them alright, and switched brands!

I remember when Redwing was the brand to buy!!

I bought CAT books (made in China) and they already have lasted longer than the Redwings did!

SR

/ Work boots #16  
I wear Chippewas. They wear very well and I can wear them every day and get 2-3 years out of them depending on what I'm doing. Water kills boots of any kind. About a month ago my wife got a pair of Redwings (300.00) and she said they are extremely comfortable. .. That's good because I paid for them. I may try a pair the next time I get boots, but I just broke I. A pair of Chips over the last 6 weeks so it will be a while.

/ Work boots #17  
I wear Chippewas. They wear very well and I can wear them every day and get 2-3 years out of them depending on what I'm doing. Water kills boots of any kind. About a month ago my wife got a pair of Redwings (300.00) and she said they are extremely comfortable. .. That's good because I paid for them. I may try a pair the next time I get boots, but I just broke I. A pair of Chips over the last 6 weeks so it will be a while.

When I was in the $170 price range, I tried keen boots, and I really liked the toes being covered, but the soles didn't last as long as the uppers, so I up graded to USA made Chippewas and love them, even though they really are too wide. I really should be wearing a 9AA, and I don't know anybody who caries them in an ST boot.

/ Work boots #18  
Has anyone tired Redwing Irish Setter 11" pull ons, 83906 83906 11-inch Pull-On - Irish Setter Work
I've been told Redwing is one of the best, without going too crazy expensive, but $170 is still a Lot of money in my book.

As a note, I wear my boots pretty much 100% of the time, I don't even own "shoes",

Mate, if I wore one pair of boots 100% of the time, spending US$170 on them would be the least of my worries.

Sorry but I'm not familiar with that brand of boots.

/ Work boots
Mate, if I wore one pair of boots 100% of the time, spending US$170 on them would be the least of my worries.

Sorry but I'm not familiar with that brand of boots.

I agree on getting good. The last pair was a $85 pair of Ariat steel toes and before that a $85 pair of Wolverine steel toes. What's funny, is I'm pretty sure they are made in same factory in PRC. They are nearly identical, and both only have a small company logo; kinda like it's there cheap line. The Ariat lasted 18 months, and the Wolverines lasted about 12 (more walking then, and a lot of it on fresh asphalt mat). Neither of those where as light or comfortable as the $150 Justin original worn boot; but Justin was out of the budget at the time, and if they have steel toe, I didn't find them. I've had $150 Wolverines that I wore through the bottoms in 6 months, so expensive doesn't mean they last.

One problem i have is that I crushed my big toe about 8 years ago, and although I have no pain now, I still walk like it. Kinda like I learned to shuffle the foot to not bend the toe then, and now it's just the way I walk.

Last edited:
   / Work boots #20  
Just the opposite for me on the Wolverines. Two pair of steel toe and the uppers came apart before the soles wore out. Neither pair lasted more than 18 months. Red Wing is a nice looking boot but not for me, most uncomfortable boots I ever wore. Gave them to my son. Haven't had any feed back from him. I will follow this thread to help me find a new pair. Prefer steel toe since I work with steel and raise goats. Already lost one toenail from the one time I fed the goats while wearing rubber mud boots. Would like to learn more about the composite toe.