Drilling Hole Down the Middle of a Four Foot Long 6X6

/ Drilling Hole Down the Middle of a Four Foot Long 6X6 #1  

Industrial Toys

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota R510 Wheel Loader + Cab and backhoe, JD 6200 Open Station, Cushman 6150, 4x4, ten foot 56 hp Kubota diesel hydraulic wing mower, Steiner 430 Diesel Max, Kawasaki Diesel Mule, JD 4x2 Electric Gator
I need a 1/2" or so hole drilled down the middle of a not installed pressure treated 6x6.

I tried drilling a perfect 1/4" hole through a hard wood chunk of 4x4, then screwing this onto the properly cut off end of the 6x6 and using it as a guide for a two foot long continuous 1/4" bit. Then a long flexible 1/4" bit, watching to make sure the smaller rod was centered in the hole.

Came out on the side, just close to the end!

I suspect the flexible drill bit wandered according to grain or whatever.

I need a pilot hole so I can then use a hole hawg and put a three inch hole down the middle.

My next idea is to make a long half inch bit using drill rod, and monitor it's angle closely.

Any thoughts?

/ Drilling Hole Down the Middle of a Four Foot Long 6X6 #2  
Knots and grain will deflect a drill bit.

Sometimes it is easier to find another way to accomplish the job. What is this to be used for?

Bruce

/ Drilling Hole Down the Middle of a Four Foot Long 6X6 #3  
Use the same method but with a simple bit made from a piece of 1 inch or better steel rod or even pip. the hard part is getting rid of the chips.

A bell hanger's /ship builders/ electricians auger will be just the ticket, but they are a bit spendy.

Simplest is to saw the 6X6 in half length wise, dado out the core, then glue the two halves back together with resorcinol or other outdoor glue.

/ Drilling Hole Down the Middle of a Four Foot Long 6X6
Oh, just another one of my "harder then it needs to be" projects. It is a post in the corner of my garden concealing water and electical services, as well as some low voltage stuff. I could have nailed together a post out of PT planks but that kind of thing never lasts very long outdoors.

I have a friend with a rather large lathe, and I considered if this was a possibility. But I have to be carefull. I think my many projects irritate the guy! lol So I want to keep the important ones for him, his equipment and talents!

/ Drilling Hole Down the Middle of a Four Foot Long 6X6 #5  
Four 6x1 treated boards with 45 degree edges, epoxy, hose clamps and screws should hold up.

You may be able to use a heated Rod to burn a hole through a solid post.

/ Drilling Hole Down the Middle of a Four Foot Long 6X6 #6  
Use the same method but with a simple bit made from a piece of 1 inch or better steel rod or even pip. the hard part is getting rid of the chips.

A bell hanger's /ship builders/ electricians auger will be just the ticket, but they are a bit spendy.

Simplest is to saw the 6X6 in half length wise, dado out the core, then glue the two halves back together with resorcinol or other outdoor glue.

I sure like the idea of cutting the 6 x 6 in half length ways and then cut out the centre for whatever you plane to put in there. Then glue and screw the two halve together afterwards. It would make an excellent job and would be relatively easy compared to trying to bore out the hole.

I've never really been much of a handyman in the wood department! Thank God for my electric hand planer. Just everything ends up being much smaller then I envisioned!

I have a very large assortment of long "bell hanger" bits that I use in my alarm business, but these things wander all over the place and it's anybodys guess where they will come out. Sure if you could see inside the wood, you could possibly steer these things, but failing that, ridged is the way to go, I'm guessing.

Seems they can tunnel through mountains meeting within milimeters or under the English Channel, but I can't get a hole more or less straight through a four foot piece of lumber. Sad when you think about it!

/ Drilling Hole Down the Middle of a Four Foot Long 6X6 #9  
Why not use a piece of pipe? Most electrical supply houses will carry sticks of 3" or 4" EMT.

Aaron Z

It is to house a varienty of services. And I want it to look rustic, which is why I don't want a post with pipes and conduits going up the outside.