Tillers ????????

/ Tillers ???????? #1  

RSKY

Veteran Member
Kentucky, West of the Lakes, South of Possum Trot.
Tractor
Kioti CK20S
I am in the process of buying a tiller. It will be for occasional use only so I don't want to spend more than $500 to $700. Now the field is narrowed down to two brands, Troy Bilt or one of the American Yard Products clones (Craftsman, Husky, Poulan, etc.). I am more concerned with reliability and ease of use. The only must have is a reverse gear. Thank you for your time.

RSKY

/ Tillers ???????? #3  
I got a Poulan walk behind for my wife a few years ago. It has counterrotating rear mount tines, which is a good style, unlike the ones with front mount tines which rattle your teeth out.

It is much better made than front-tine models I've seen, but this is not exactly an agricultural implement.

The only problem I've had is that the internal drive chain broke/came apart which meant the unit wouldn't move. It took me the better part of a day to take the unit apart, replace the chain, and file out the damage done to the sprokets. Biggest hassle was finding a link remover, so I sort of built one (though I subsequently found one & bouight it).

Of course, now that we have a 48" PTO drive tiller, the Poulan is only used for flower garden type work.

/ Tillers ???????? #4  
I've had a sears for about 4 yrs.,only problem so far is tires leaking down.

/ Tillers ???????? #5  
Leaky tires are probable from thorns. try some of that liquid sealer.. I would put in tubes 1st...if you can. incase u ever have to deal with replacing the tires.

/ Tillers ???????? #6  
I have my Grandfathers 5hp Sears craftman front tine tiller it's atleast 15 or 20 and has never had more than general matenance done on it. He used it every season for years. Now I have it and use it ocaionally. I just change the oil once a year for GP.

/ Tillers ???????? #7  
for ease of use I would go with rear tine tiller pulled by the front wheels. HAs its draw backs but wont jerk u around as much as a front tine tiller. you should see my 5'4 wife try to break the ground with mine /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I usually watch long enough to get good laugh and then break it up so she can till it to her sat...

/ Tillers ???????? #8  
Like Chucko, I have a craftsman tiller. Rear tine. Nice, big weights hanging out front. B&S engine, starts on 1st or 2nd pull. Ag-type tires that pull very well. Belt drive. Cost - ~$575 on sale. Pretty darn solid for its price range. There are better ones out there, but I don't know of any in this price range.

A few months after purchasing this tiller, I bought a 50" tiller for my tractor. Which do you think is my favorite now?

As others have said : SPEND A LITTLE MORE AND GET REAR TINE, ELSE YOU WILL CURSE THE TILLING CHORE.

roger