What would you do if you found an old aircraft bomb?

/ What would you do if you found an old aircraft bomb? #1  

bcp

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2360
Toss it in the back of your car and bring it to town?

bomb-sfnm.png

Hikers find inert bomb while hiking outside Santa Fe | KOB.com

Probably a lot found in Europe by farmers, but I bet they don't do that.

Bruce

/ What would you do if you found an old aircraft bomb? #2  
Reminds me of a story that I read maybe 20 years ago. Seems that potatoes, grown in a new field, harvested and sacked at a farm in France, were found to have several WWII hand grenades included as a bonus in several of the sacks. The field was also a WWII battle site.

/ What would you do if you found an old aircraft bomb? #3  
There are old training bomb ranges NE & SE of Fort Worth in Tarrant County. We would occasionally get a call that someone working construction found and brought home a 25 pound practice bomb. Most people thought a blue bomb meant inert when in reality it meant practice. Most had a 1 pound spotting charge so you could tell where it impacted. The nearest military ordinance disposal was at Fort Hood so it would take a while to get someone there. The largest I remember was a 500 pound bomb.

The other situation was when a veteran from WWII or Korea died and relatives cleaned out the garage or storage building. You would get a call for old hand grenades, C4, and in one case picric acid, a very unstable explosive. That stuff our bomb team would handle.

/ What would you do if you found an old aircraft bomb? #5  
Central florida, Orlando area has an old bombing range. Some developer bought it and turned it into a housing development :confused2: Folks got mad when there kids were finding bombs on the playground at the school :eek: Developer had to go back and buy half the houses back.

We had a safety meeting one morning at the company I worked for down there. Martin Marietta had an old test range across the road from the convention center where they were developing into more hotels. We were told to stay on the haul roads and make the customer bring the equipment to us to work on. Some yahoo a couple day's before found an anti tank mine :eek: idiot loaded it into his little chevy s10 and dragged ot all the way up to ocala to show his friends :banghead: Hauled it back to the jobsite the next day. Security pounced on him when he pulled back onto the jobsite and handed him his butt!!!

/ What would you do if you found an old aircraft bomb? #7  
I'd put it at my neighbor's doorstep with some stumping powder and a six foot fuse.

/ What would you do if you found an old aircraft bomb? #8  
We found one hiking less than a mile from home as kids...

Brought it home... it was totally empty/hollow...

It's been yard art for decades.

Attachments

• 6620146201_3d3a9e4231_z.jpg
    6620146201_3d3a9e4231_z.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 148
   / What would you do if you found an old aircraft bomb? #9  
bcp - looking at the picture, I wonder how the hikers knew it was "inert"?

/ What would you do if you found an old aircraft bomb? #10  
North of Raleigh is an area that used to be a huge army base during WWII that has been drastically decreased in size since that time. While the land is supposed to have been cleared of munitions, a subdivision was built in an area that was full of explosive rounds. :shocked: A coworker had a house in that subdivision and eventually moved. I don't know who took the financial hit but I bet her family did at least at first. When your kids are finding anti tank rounds in the yard you have a problem...

A couple of decades ago a Civil War shell was found in a creek bank in what used to be a small town in the Triangle area. There was a skirmish when Sherman came to visit during The Late Unpleasantness and the Yankees left a gift when they fired at the locals who were upset with the visitors. I used to drive past where the shell was found twice a day and it was kinda cool to think about the history. What was not so cool was that the shell was found near a park when soccer fields. :shocked:

Later,
Dan