Flooding

/ Flooding #1  

Mike_Kanzer

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3830 HST, JD Gator 855D
Have any TBN members from Texas or oklahoma been having problems with the flooding? I have seen the videos on the news and it really does look like flooding of "biblical proportions". Hope everyone is safe and not having serios problems. Mike

/ Flooding #2  
We're located between Guthrie and Oklahoma City, on high ground with a huge, big deep creek behind us. It was roaring like crazy for a couple of days, but we're OK. A bit soggy, and the gopher holes have channeled some of my yard down to the creek, but no real threat here. I haven't had to water my tomatoes since I put them in, in mid April.

/ Flooding #3  
Some of those videos (including a couple helicopter rescues) have been within a few miles of our place. The ground is so saturated that there's nowhere for the water to go, so it's all surface runoff now. Our pastures are a mess and the pond overflow has been getting a workout! Our house is on a bit of higher ground, but I've still had to pump out under the house twice and I'm heading to the rental yard this morning to get a trash pump again.

/ Flooding #4  
Some of those videos (including a couple helicopter rescues) have been within a few miles of our place. The ground is so saturated that there's nowhere for the water to go, so it's all surface runoff now. Our pastures are a mess and the pond overflow has been getting a workout! Our house is on a bit of higher ground, but I've still had to pump out under the house twice and I'm heading to the rental yard this morning to get a trash pump again.

Sorry to hear that John. I thought you were kidding the other day when you said water was running through your shop. Hopefully this system is moving away from you'all very soon.

/ Flooding #5  
We had 2 inches fall last night from the storm, but no flooding in our area. My step son lives in Henderson and it looks like the town was hit by a tornado. He said it was so loud that his ears where ringing after it passed when we talked to him on the phone. Trees and branches have taken out power lines all over the town. It will be a few days until they can say if it was a tornado or not for sure. The one that hit van a couple weeks ago was an F3 which is about 15 miles from our place. The damage is just amazing to see. Trees just snapped in half for as far back into the forest as you can see. Entire houses are just gone. It's not the flooding that has us scared, it's all the tornadoes. Roughly guessing, I think there where five last night in a 50 mile radius of us.

Eddie

/ Flooding #6  
Sorry to hear that John. I thought you were kidding the other day when you said water was running through your shop. Hopefully this system is moving away from you'all very soon.

Thank Dave. My wife would be happy to monitor the pump if she could get me out of the house and back to work! :laughing:

/ Flooding #7  
We had 4" yesterday and the creek came up higher than I've ever seen it. Couldn't get near the bridge - my back fence this a.m. had debris 4 and 5 feet high where the water was rushing over it. We were flooded in - roads going in both directions out of here were impassable. No big deal - we had no place to go. Should be OK this a.m. - I'll find out in a couple hours when I try to go to town. They closed school for today and the wife is home from work -- time for me to leave.
Daughter called from Houston - guess it was a real nightmare on those freeways -- crowded with idiots.

/ Flooding #8  
All the county roads (gravel) need some work if UPS is going to pass through. I can make it to town if I take the back roads and go slow through the wash outs. The farm to market roads in the area are closed at the creeks with water high over the roads. The state highways are open. No reported emergencies to our VFD last night - good thing I could not have made it to the station, so I was protecting this side with ???? - a bucket.

Heading out with the box blade

just got paged - water rescue bye

/ Flooding #9  
We're located east of Guthrie, buildings are on high ground, pond is usually empty.

This has been the most rain in the month of May, 18.9", since they started keeping track in 1890.

Our pond on April 12th.

attachment.php

On May 24th.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• P4120028.JPG
    P4120028.JPG
    299.5 KB · Views: 391
  • P5240003.JPG
    P5240003.JPG
    263.5 KB · Views: 381
  • P5240006.JPG
    P5240006.JPG
    259.4 KB · Views: 390
   / Flooding #10  
I was in the TX hill country over the weekend, in Mason they had 3.5" on Saturday night and the dry creeks were flowing Sunday morning. The Llano river had a 6-8 foot surge earlier in the week, but it was only 1' over the low water crossing in Castell, when we checked it on Sunday. On our drive back yesterday, we had downpours from Hwy 16 in De Leon all the way home, made for 3 hours of miserable driving.

Our place in North TX, Denton, is waterlogged. We've had a permanent river between our tank and our neighbors tank up stream from us. usually only an issue for part of a day after a good rain, seems like there's enough run-off that it just keeps flowing now. It makes for great adventures for our girls, they've been catching fish, pollywogs and crawdads as they get swept from the upper tank.

On my drive to work this morning, Lake Lewisville is only about 2 feet from hitting the bottom of the I-35 bridge and the new walking trail they built on the east side of the highway was completely under water.

The ground is so saturated I can't play with the new tractor much. I'd just be leaving ruts and making a mess if I drove off an improved surface.