Cows can fly; prevention help

/ Cows can fly; prevention help #1  

greenmojo

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 4300, John Deere 450C
We picked up a 1 year old bred heifer (Angus x Wagyu), and had her delivered to her new pasture. This is my first cow, and other than being around a few when I was a boy, I know nothing about them outside of perfecting a few good techniques on the Traeger.

IMG_8494.jpg

The starter pasture is about one acre, one side is wooden posts, the other three are t-posts. Four strands of 4-point barbed wire at 1' intervals, top wire being 4' off the ground.

IMG_8473.jpg

We had her delivered in the late afternoon from a place about 2 hours away. The heifer was from a small herd of about seven or so cows. First time out of her pasture, first time in a trailer, etc.

At first she was fine, standard mooing, eating and the like.

IMG_8478-1.jpg

Then about 10 minutes after the owner drove off with the trailer, she began to get agitated, and running the fence line of the pasture.

She took a few good runs at what appears to look like the shortest part of the fence (however it is all 4'), and each time she would turn at the last minute.

Finally, she took one more run and this time, she lifted off like the most beautiful 750 pound heifer you could imagine flying through the air and landing quite gracefully on the other side, dragging her back feet through the top strand of barbed wire.

A long evening of circling out in front of her as she crossed 3 different property lines we finally had her stopped. A call to a local cattleman friend, and he came up with his dog and we were able to walk her up through two fences, back onto the property and into the pasture. I didn't believe this was possible while I was nearly puking from running 2 miles through sagebrush hills.

She spent that night in the trailer and the next day she was jailed in 12' ranch panels.

IMG_8482-2.jpg

She spent 2 days in her 12' x 12' cell, and then the last day in a 24' x 24' cell. I put up a Gallagher S17 hot wire (solar), but I think it needs to charge a bit more, touching it is only a slight zap, nothing that would stop me from anything.

I let her out for a few hours to graze today, then pressured her back into jail this evening. When she was out, she mostly grazed, but a few times she seemed to be a bit agitated and ran along the fence, then attention went back to eating. I got a bit nervous for a moment.

Long story, my question... how long to jail her? is getting another heifer or steer going to solve the problem?

Any tips or guidance, I am all over it.

Thank you,

~Moses

Last edited:
   / Cows can fly; prevention help #2  
Grew up with dairy cattle and all manner of style of fencing. I think 48" might not seem tall enough to her, most of ours were at about 5', even if the top strands were spaced out more. Once they learn escapism, they are hard to keep in. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. We had a training technique, not sure if its too harsh for todays climate. A logging chain about 15' or so, bolted around their neck so it can't tighten or slide off with used tire on the other end. When they would attempt to gather speed it would pull their heads down, when they tried to reach through and push through the lower strands, the chain would put extra pressure to keep them in. It usually worked in a week or so. I remember one stubborn one that spent several month on/off with it and just wouldn't learn. She even seemed to encourage others in the debauchery. Good luck.

/ Cows can fly; prevention help #4  
get her a chicken

/ Cows can fly; prevention help #7  
Have to push nature back a bit further before chickens... they just become coyote and cougar bait.

A donkey, what on earth do you do with a donkey?...

~Moses

Stand back and let it take care of the coyotes and cougars - it will stomp them to death. Donkeys are very protective of their friends....

I live in the foothills of the Sierras, and many of my neighbors keep donkeys to protect and calm their livestock.

/ Cows can fly; prevention help #9  
Good leapers ; one jumped over the moon. I chased a lot of cows. Companions can help, but sometimes you have to chase 2 cows instead of one. We kept a lot of cattle inside a 1 or 2 strand electric fence by training them. Lead them right up to the fence to let them get a good zap worked pretty good. In your situation I'd buy a cheapo old school kind of electric fencer for maybe $60 or $70 and run an electrified line just inside the barbed wire to let her get a good taste of a jolt. Some old farmers and horse people tie little ribbon strips or rags to their electrified fences to make them more visible and say that the animal thinks the strips of rag are biting it.
If you are doing more pasture fencing I would stay away from barbed wire and go more electric. In addition to being easier to work with, an animal which runs through a barbed wire fence is going to get cut up pretty good and require sewing up. A thousand pound terrified, semi wild animal isn't going to stand quietly while you sew her up so now you need the vet to knock it out so it can be stitched $$$$.

/ Cows can fly; prevention help #10  
Cattle are herd animals and so need at least one other (ideally one of their own) herd animal with them in the same or adjacent paddock. Herd animals are prey animals and, instinctively, are watching out for anything that will eat them so there is safety in a herd. As far as they're concerned, 2 = a herd.

Also, a single herd animal will not be able to sleep properly as any rustle could potentially be something that is going to eat them, so they take turns sleeping. They won't be all that good an eater due to nervousness and lack of sleep. As a plus, a second animal will encourage the first to eat (and fatten up) due to competition.

It's why I have two horses but only ride one of them. The other is a companion and keeps them both sane.