birds on the ground

/ birds on the ground #1  

tractchores

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota b2920
It's that time of year here (well the second wave anyway). Lots of birds just out of the nest on the ground or learning to fly. We seem to get several waves of them here. I almost stepped on one today, had to pick it up and relocate it a few feet away. (Parents are still caring for them at this phase so you don't want to move them very far). Last go around we had another one that almost got run over by the tractor, put that one in a tree to get it off the ground.

Keep your eyes out!

/ birds on the ground #2  
It's that time of year here (well the second wave anyway). Lots of birds just out of the nest on the ground or learning to fly. We seem to get several waves of them here. I almost stepped on one today, had to pick it up and relocate it a few feet away. (Parents are still caring for them at this phase so you don't want to move them very far). Last go around we had another one that almost got run over by the tractor, put that one in a tree to get it off the ground. Keep your eyes out!
good point will do

/ birds on the ground
This was one from today. I think they probably have a very high mortality rate the first few days out of the nest. I nearly stepped on him. image.jpg

/ birds on the ground #4  
We had 80 mph winds here last night with thunderstorms. Lots of limbs down so I will definitely make a few passes around the yard when I get home.

Thanks

/ birds on the ground #6  
Wife and I had picked up some things at Home Depot today. It was raining big time so I had my wife wait with the buggy at the loading area while I got the car. When I got to the dock area my wife was leaning over a skid of blocks pointing to something. A baby robin was sitting on the blocks with it's feet tanged in something. I grabbed the bird while the wife got a knife and we started cutting away this ball of some kind of polypropalene wrapped tightly around the bird's legs. It looked like something a lawn mower had spit out. One rear facing toe was nearly cut through. What with the baby bird screaming and the tightly wound string and a somewhat dull knife it took some time but we finally freed the bird which I then left go. Momma was fussing all this time so hopefully the youngster will make it. Momma must have used the material in her next. Hope she chooses wisely next time.

/ birds on the ground #7  
Yes its that time we have found a young barn swallow that was on the ground. Now this is weird. I have a pet deer. and keep him in a large chain link enclosure. he has corn oats sweet grain & alfalfa pellets available fulltime. and mineral & salt also. and I also cut him greenery like grape vines wild rosebushes and saw briar. Just this week a mother bantam and her month old chicks where in the pen. And that buck killed one of the chicks with his front hooves and ate it. Kinda frogged me & my wife out! I wonder if this happens in the wild. It,s the time of year when baby birds fall on the ground? We happened to be there at the right time or we wouldn't have seen it. We where weeding and giving him some lambs quarters when it happened.

/ birds on the ground #8  
Keep your eyes out!

Yeah we have a nest of Phoebes under our deck. They return every year. Last year I got too close to the nest and they all flew out before they were ready. This year I'm consciously avoiding them so they will take off when ready. I ready like Phoebes since they eat mass quantities of bugs. Also like their song and the way they flick their tails.

View attachment 431804