Best way to freeze Peaches?

/ Best way to freeze Peaches? #1  

Fawken

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 1100
With all the rain my trees overwhelmed us this year. We've eaten about 20lb so far and given away about 40lb to friends & family. There is at least a hundred pounds worth still ripening. We need to freeze them. Suggestions?

/ Best way to freeze Peaches? #2  
The wife says the best way is to slice them and then make a "light" suryp to freeze them in.

/ Best way to freeze Peaches? #3  
At the orchard we pick them while they are just beginning to ripen but are still quite hard and put them in cold storage. They wont ripen so fast that way and gives a decent window of time to use them, sell them etc..

Air temperature is important and with most any fruit or produce heat is a killer...for me after two days of unrefrigerated weekend marketing in 80 degree temperatures any peaches left are definitely pretty well over ripened by then and usually get tossed.

/ Best way to freeze Peaches? #4  
We would blanch them so the peal comes off then slice the peach thin. Put on cookie sheet to freeze, then bag them, suck out the air and back into the freezer. Canning is a yummy way to put them up as well. Then you pack the frozen peach slices into insulated box and put on jet for delivery to my house. :licking:

/ Best way to freeze Peaches? #5  
The wife says the best way is to slice them and then make a "light" suryp to freeze them in.

Ditto...that's what Sharn Jean says...but she sprinkles them with a little Fruit Fresh.

/ Best way to freeze Peaches?
Thanks, fellas. If I had known we were going to have so many I would have been more prepared.

/ Best way to freeze Peaches? #7  
I prefer to can them, have you considered doing that??

SR

/ Best way to freeze Peaches? #8  
I would look at drying some. You can also freeze the dried ones which pretty much makes them last forever.

/ Best way to freeze Peaches? #9  
I prefer to can them, have you considered doing that??

SR

There is a canning company in Georgia that makes pickled peaches from the small ones they can't or won't sell. I would buy every jar I could find because they would not be around long. Everybody loves them.

/ Best way to freeze Peaches?
Thanks again for the input. Both the girlfriend (Horselady) and I have been taking them to work and we did freeze some too. I made peach daquiris last night. The other day a man stopped with his family and asked if they could have some of the ones on the ground (bird damage). His daughter was already eating a fallen peach. Horselady told them to pick a bag full and they did. They looked very poor which is hard to believe in this economy.