Anyone save pull tabs?

/ Anyone save pull tabs? #1  

2LaneCruzer

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere LX172
We got started saving them years ago, and giving them to a friend who in turn donated them to a charity that provided free dialysis to deserving patients. They quit taking them several years ago, but we kept saving them...we now have maybe 3 or 4 gallon of the things. What to do with them? I can always put them in the recycle, but the only other charity I know of that takes them is McDonald House. Any suggestions?

/ Anyone save pull tabs? #2  
A guy at work was saving them for some charity, cant remember what for sure. I think Ronald McDonald House would be a good choice. Keeps the families of sick children close to the hospital.

/ Anyone save pull tabs? #3  
Some churches in the area use them and the local humane society uses them. Just ask around....

/ Anyone save pull tabs? #4  
Why do you save only the pull tabs? The tabs are only a fraction of the metal in the can.

/ Anyone save pull tabs? #5  
Why do you save only the pull tabs? The tabs are only a fraction of the metal in the can.

The charities don't want the can, just the pull tab. But yes, definitely recycle the whole can after the tab is removed.

/ Anyone save pull tabs?

Just out of habit. Our community recycles paper, plastic, metal (including aluminum and steel cans), empty spray cans, etc...almost everything in that category except Styrofoam. In fact, considering that we have a compost bin, our recycle is about 10 times what our trash is. We probably don't send much more than a couple kitchen size bags to the garbage every week, but the recycle container we fill and then some every 2 weeks.

Looks like McDonald House will benefit...such as it is...from the pull tabs. I really wasn't under the illusion that the tabs were worth any more than the can itself (although I had heard otherwise) but I thought that there might be some matching contribution from the recipient that made it worthwhile to save them. In this case, McDonald will get the benefit as opposed to the recycle company (we actually have to pay extra for the recycle...but I don't mind, being of an environmental bent).

/ Anyone save pull tabs? #8  
So, you separate the pull tab from the can every time by wiggling the thing until it comes off?

I can see doing this in the "old days" with pull tabs, but today its actual work to get the pull tab off.

But, if its a beer can, the reward is worth the effort.:thumbsup:

MoKelly

/ Anyone save pull tabs? #9  
Not a scam. My grandkids school asks for students to collect them and they have 4 collection days a year. They also collect the box top coupon from certain cereal.

/ Anyone save pull tabs? #10  
the Pull tab is the only thing that is 100% alum . the rest of the can is several metals , too expensive to separate them out ....

it costs more in gas to drop them off than what you get for the tabs .... big garbage bags of them gets you change ....