Three most expensive words in the English Language!

/ Three most expensive words in the English Language! #1  

RSKY

Veteran Member
Kentucky, West of the Lakes, South of Possum Trot.
Tractor
Kioti CK20S
The three most expensive words in the English language are 'might as well' !!

I first heard this twenty years ago when a friend was building a house and I asked him how much a square foot it was costing him. We were thinking about building at the time. His reply was that it depended on what kind of front door you put in the house. He and his wife had argued about the front door and she won. She said they 'might as well' put in what she wanted while building. The door, side lites and other work ended up costing around $5000 and so added two dollars per square foot to the total cost of the house.

It was a very nice front door!

Fast forward twenty years to today.

We are building a covered patio in our back yard. Gonna have a concrete slab with one of those carport thingies on it. Wife didn't want one of those "ugly things in my back yard"! But we found a company that makes them with boxed eaves, gabled ends, and vertical roofing. They look good. Took out the brick patio I spent an entire summer building by myself twenty years ago. It was 16' by 16' and not big enough to have our growing family picnic on. Plus it sat in the sun. We set a budget of $5000-6000 for the project. Got estimates, and hired a contractor. Gonna be a month until they got here. Now they are here and putting up the forms to pour a slab.

The new patio started out as 21 x 20. Then it grew to 21' x 22' because we 'might as well' make it a little wider, won't cost that much more. Then we decided we 'might as well' make it longer too, so since the awnings come in 5' sections the size went to 26 x 22. But the metal carport type awnings need extra space so the slab has to be 27' x 23'. The extra size on the awning is 'only' $500 more. The extra size on the pad is 'only' $300 more. But the side the slab is extending takes more fill so that is $400 more for an extra 20 tons of gravel. But the old sidewalks don't work so we 'might as well' have a couple more new ones put in. And we are getting older so we 'might as well' have the one remaining usable sidewalk torn out and replaced with a new one that does not have a step. While the concrete guy is here we 'might as well' have a new slab poured in front on my shop. And we 'might as well' have another sidewalk poured alongside the shop to the second door.

Suddenly our $5000 project has 'might as welled' up to nearly $10000.

Oh well, we 'might as well' enjoy it now. We're not getting any younger.

RSKY

/ Three most expensive words in the English Language! #2  
Been there, done that! Sharn Jean wanted to remodel our bathroom; said she could do it for about $1500.00. I said "Go for it". $5000.00 later...

If you haven't seen the movie "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House", you should consider it. Funny 1948 vintage movie made on exactly this same theme.

/ Three most expensive words in the English Language! #3  
I always heard it as "just a little more." All the "just a little more" will add up pretty fast as well. I was doing a job for someone that "just a little more" from $25k to $65k before they pulled the plug.

/ Three most expensive words in the English Language! #4  
I know those 3 words well !

1) adding _________ sq ft won't cost anything, you still have to buy full sheets of plywood.
2) Might as well do this too
3) well if you do this you hafta __________ before you can add this
4) And now's the best time to take care of ___________

It always costs double to eliminate a few regrets. The cost of "no regrets" is much higher.

/ Three most expensive words in the English Language! #5  
I thought the words "I do" stated infront of a church wedding audience were the most expensive words in the english language.............but "might as well" was probably the the three words thought of before we said "I do" ......:)

/ Three most expensive words in the English Language! #6  
I thought the words "I do" stated infront of a church wedding audience were the most expensive words in the english language.............but "might as well" was probably the the three words thought of before we said "I do" ......:)

and wedding cake is the most fattening food on the planet. It also kills the female libido.

/ Three most expensive words in the English Language! #7  
My wife always says --- "you can't take it with you" when she wants extra stuff added on.

She is right, of course.

I have learned to let her get what she wants. She is not foolish and is not wasteful.

MoKelly

/ Three most expensive words in the English Language! #8  
I must be blessed - my wife always says "do we really need to buy that?". It has meant we have been able to live our chosen lifestyle of being peasants for several decades on extremely limited income. I only try to persuade her we do need to spend money when it is said about something I desperately "need" for the farm. Surprising how many times she has been right though. The words "I do" were probably the best money-saving ones I ever spoke.

I had been in decently paid employment for 11 years leading up to my wedding and beginning of peasanting idea, and I had a brilliant accountant who immediately arranged things so that she became a tax saving going back to the statutory time limit that extended to before I even met her. I have no idea how he did it, and it was 50 years ago so no hope of finding out now, but before he retired he came up with another ruse that saved us a claimed 」40k tax bill when we moved from Britain to Australia. I stress these were perfectly legal possibilities, but it tok a good man to know them. Needless to say he was one of the nicest blokes I have ever met.

/ Three most expensive words in the English Language! #9  
In the car restoration realm we always called "while I'm in there.."

/ Three most expensive words in the English Language! #10  
In the car restoration realm we always called "while I'm in there.."

" might as well do that valve job while I'm in there". :D