Broke a rib, double doggone darn! 67 is too old for that kid stuff!

/ Broke a rib, double doggone darn! 67 is too old for that kid stuff! #1  

wroughtn_harv

Tractor
2013 Volvo MC85C
A week ago I was picking up a couple of round bales at a friend's place. He had a Mahindra with remotes at the back and it had a bat wing mower that we had to bring the wings up so we could change out remotes so we could use the front loader with hay spears.

Mahindra needs to go to John Deere school when it comes to remote hydraulic line couplings.

Bud was in the cab and I was on the wrong side of the tractor. So I hauled butt around the mower to the other side. Well, that was the idea. Instead I collided with the beam for the wheel on the wing, didn't see it coming. It was like you cold cocked me with an ax handle and you were really angry. The next thing I knew I was on the ground trying to catch my breath and bud was all concerned. I had came down the on the main frame wheel of the bat wing with my right side ribs.

That was last Wednesday. Yesterday and the day before I was forging some pieces for a hand rail and making jokes about the best remedy for bruised ribs was swinging a 3 1//2 lb hammer making orange iron change shapes. This morning I got to the shop and I couldn't bend over or pick up anything without a lot of pain in the chest area.

Ribs are like your thumbs, you never realize how much you use them until you hurt one pretty bad. Now Miss Glenda has been on me like a bad coat of paint on going to the doc but I've had ribs separated before and the only therapy is time. I assumed I had bruised a couple and it would be like before.

So we went to the doctor today and they did Xrays. Number seven on the right side is fractured. Doc recommended rest and let me know I should be good as new in six to eight weeks.

I feel better already, hope to be welding at the shop tomorrow. We ain't got time for this stuff.

I'm attaching some photos of a sample we made up for a duck hunting club's hand rails. The duck heads are teak and one of the rails we powder coated camo, kewel or what? The others will be textured flat black.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    969.5 KB · Views: 161
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    930.2 KB · Views: 156
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    902.1 KB · Views: 131
   / Broke a rib, double doggone darn! 67 is too old for that kid stuff! #2  
Ouch... I know first hand your pain. I broke a rib a long time ago. Hurt to breathe. Doc said nothing to do but rest it. Took some time to heal... and I was almost a half century younger than you. Don't remember how long. Take it easy. I suppose I should tell the story of how I did it. My dog ran between my legs while I was catching a football and I landed hard on the football. Ended my fledgling football career. Played basketball for 25 more years and nothing but aches and pains have resulted from that as well. Mainly a bad lower back. Can't blame it all on basketball I guess.

/ Broke a rib, double doggone darn! 67 is too old for that kid stuff! #3  
I broke a rib when I was 70. I fell off a ladder about 6' and hit a 2X4 on the way down, landed in a shallow ditch. The pain was so intense I could not move. Took the fire department 30 minutes to work a blanket under me and get me up on the gurney. Doctor raised all kind ot He!! with me for being on a ladder as a coumadin taker. 1 month later I was back on that ladder still in some pain lessened with codeine pills. I never did learn to follow doctors orders, too much work to get done.

Ron

/ Broke a rib, double doggone darn! 67 is too old for that kid stuff! #4  
Sorry to hear it. Take it easy and follow the doc's orders. I broke two ribs when I was 21 and would hate to go through it now that I'm old. Try not to breathe. Just kidding!

/ Broke a rib, double doggone darn! 67 is too old for that kid stuff! #5  
Nice railings! :thumbsup:

Good luck on the ribs... I remember my dad took us sledding one winter. Last I saw him he was head over teakettle three times sitting cross-legged in one of those saucer sleds! Broke several ribs and all they could do for him was some elastic bandages around his ribs for a few weeks. Did not look fun at all.

/ Broke a rib, double doggone darn! 67 is too old for that kid stuff! #6  
Nice railings...but without returns, are they going to pass code (if it matters)?

Heal up, man. I fell on my weed whacker handle last week running from a bees nest and got a pretty nicely bruised rib, but sure it isn't broken as i could function within a day. Still hurts to sneeze. And amazingly no bee stings. I think I moved far enough before they caught on...

/ Broke a rib, double doggone darn! 67 is too old for that kid stuff! #7  
I broke 2 ribs a few years back helping a neighbor also. But because I couldn't sleep on that side, I ended up getting sciatica which was worse then the rib issue. Not much they can do for ribs you just gotta give 'em time to heal.

/ Broke a rib, double doggone darn! 67 is too old for that kid stuff! #8  
OUch! Give those ribs a chance to heal well. No coughing or laughing allowed. :)

/ Broke a rib, double doggone darn! 67 is too old for that kid stuff! #9  
   / Broke a rib, double doggone darn! 67 is too old for that kid stuff! #10  
Ow, I know what that feels like. Try to avoid anything humorous. And sneezing. And coughing. Really, you just need to hide somewhere clean, boring, and dust-free for a few weeks. Maybe the pain is a better deal....