Building our retirement home

/ Building our retirement home #1  

KiotiKowboy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DK50SE HST Cub Cadet UTV Swisher RC17552BS NRA_Life
We've been "planning" this home for a few years and it has seemingly taken forever to get things moving. FINALLY, we are seeing progress. I'm sure we'll get this all framed and closed in by fall but likely spring before move in is possible.

The home will be just over 3500 sq ft, which includes 1000' in the basement. Under roof, which includes garage and porches, will be about 5500 sq ft. The Great Room is a 16' vault lined with oak stained pine and will have a 12' wood burning fireplace. The porches are an extension of the Great Room and will also have the wood lining on the underside. All cabinetry and interior trim will be oak. To my chagrin, this is total electric but we're contemplating a propane run full house generator as a backup, and a portable 18K 800ah solar generator for good measure.

Needless to say, this is a major investment going into our retirement years. We are nervous :) We have planned and prayed this will work out financially.

The first step is cutting a driveway that will run from our entry gate, past the barn and on to the house. In total, this is about 3500' of drive that will be 10' wide. We've chosen a path the poses minimal intrusion into the pastures and will be completely out of sight until the final approach to the garage side of the house. I started by trimming the adjacent tree line up to a 16' overhead clearance. This allowed putting the drive closer to the trees and pretty much outside the edge of anything we ever cut for hay due to the obstructions for driving the tractor.

20150518_133507.jpg 20150626_190238.jpg 20150625_105719.jpg

/ Building our retirement home #2  
Good luck and God speed. I used to spend my Summers in Delaware County, near Zena. Beautiful country and a great place to retire, especially if you like to fish.

/ Building our retirement home #3  
Gonna be quite the estate! Looking forward to updates. :thumbsup:

/ Building our retirement home
Good luck and God speed. I used to spend my Summers in Delaware County, near Zena. Beautiful country and a great place to retire, especially if you like to fish.

Yes, it's a small and friendly community. For its size, we're fortunate to have a few big retailers - Walmart, Lowes, Tractor Supply and a number of good dining options.

We debated building/buying on the waterfront but chose otherwise. While being on the water is nice, it is also endless noise, loss of privacy and trash washing up on the shoreline. My wife has been here for 20 years but I came up from Tulsa several years ago. I have never put a toe in the lake - lol. Maybe after all this construction is over we can think about that.

Gonna be quite the estate! Looking forward to updates. :thumbsup:

This will surely be a months long project, so I'll be posting updates along the way. I know I enjoy seeing other people's projects posted on TBN. Hopefully some of you will enjoy watching our struggle :)

/ Building our retirement home #6  
We are in the same process but we are doing a 2000 sq ft modular. It will have a full basement and a 32 x 32 garage. One of the things we like about it is when we put down a deposit we should be living there in less than 4 months. We to have spent a lot of time praying and figuring. My wife is looking forward to the kitchen and pantry. I am looking forward to the 30 x 40 shop just outside the garage back door. Wish you well and I hope it is all you need it to be.

/ Building our retirement home #7  
More pics of the new barn please... Ist it all wired up yet?? Details details details.,,,,,

We are in the same process .....

Congrats to you and your wife. I wish you success and happiness with your new home.

This will be my first basement - but I've always wanted one. It will include an open room for a pool table, pinball and a small bar. Next to that will be a small storage room and a bath w/shower. The best part is my media room :) :) :) The media room is fully encased in concrete, including the ceiling, and will have a triple bolt steel door - so it doubles as a giant safe room.

More pics of the new barn please... Ist it all wired up yet?? Details details details.,,,,,

Murph, are you talking about the barn that you see in my driveway pic?