Using "Sun Block"?

/ Using "Sun Block"? #1  

gwstang

Platinum Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8N / Kubota L2501
I usually spray some pf 70 sunblock on my face/arms when I am jumping on the tractor for a couple of hours of pulling the finishing mower around. I also use a piece of towel that I cut into strips to use for a head band to try to keep the sweat out of my eyes. It doesn't work too well and the sun block burns like the devil when it gets into my eyes. Not a good thing when swinging around with the front end loader sticking out the front and the mower hanging off the back. I would hate to run over one of swmbo's blessed trees or shrubs or flowers or what ever she has planted that is definitely in my frigging way. Any ideas to keep the sun block where it belongs and out of my eyes stinging? Alright, don't mention a "cab with ac" as that would just be "rubbing" it in. :mad:

/ Using "Sun Block"? #2  
Alright, don't mention a "cab with ac" as that would just be "rubbing" it in

You just took all the "fun" out of your own thread:laughing: You disarmed us before we even got started good. If it is any consolation, Sweated out probably 5 lbs last Saturday. I worked most of the day on the tractor, in 90+ heat.

/ Using "Sun Block"? #3  
Get an old washcloth and soak it in water. Squeeze it out. Fold it in half and half again so its 1/4 its size. Plop it on top of your head and put a straw hat on. No sun block needed on your head above eye line and the wet washcloth cools your head while the water evaporates. Re-wet it as needed. :thumbsup:

/ Using "Sun Block"? #4  
What's the old saying - - "only fools and Englishmen venture out in the noon-day sun". I seldom venture out mid-day so I seldom use sun block. Anyhow - they do have brands of sun block that advertise as being sweat proof.

We have the mid-day heat here but usually the humidity is 15-20%. I can not imagine a cabbed tractor in the heat & humidity you get there in Alabama. I would think that the air conditioning only makes the sweat cold.

/ Using "Sun Block"? #5  
The UV rays in Tassie can be brutal... my black JD ballcap is grey on the outside after 2 years.

I don't wear sun block, but always wear long trousers & long sleeve shirts + sunnies; even in the summer. Gloves, for the most part and either the aforementioned cap or my Akubra.

I like Mossroad's suggestion too.

/ Using "Sun Block"? #6  
I use an old towel strip tied around my forehead and wear a hat: no sun block. If I'm staying in sun very long, I'll put on a long sleeved shirt. Otherwise, I'm flitting in and out of the shade, naked. No skin issues.

Ralph

/ Using "Sun Block"? #7  
In addition to a wet headband, try a wet bandana around your neck. With it resting on your jugular it will carry the cooling effect around your body.

Also, I have set of headbands and bandanas that have some sort of gel sewn in. You put them in the freezer and they stay cold for hours. But they can be too cold and one time they sort of constricted my blood vessels and I had a few moments of confusion set in. Totally weird but kind of makes sense in retrospect.

/ Using "Sun Block"?
I was in Lowes the other day and saw some of those gel filled things that you can freeze and then wrap around the neck. I think that would help quite a bit. I'll just have to start wearing a wide brim hat that I have. No more sunscreen on the face...just burns too much. I rode cruiser motorcycles for years and my face/neck/arms would get burned if I didn't use sunscreen. I'm just going to have to get a tractor canopy to fit my kubota before next year. :( Not much time today, as swmbo was coming back from staying at the beach with her friends that have a beach house down by Gulf Shores. After a nap, I had to get hopping on cleaning the house up as she had been gone for 4 days and you know how batching it goes. Dishes everywhere....shoes left wherever they came off...I managed to do it before she drove up about 4pm... whew! :laughing:

/ Using "Sun Block"? #9  
I might be luckier than most, but I never use sunscreen and I don't burn. I spent about 6 hours on a tractor today. I didn't use a drop of sunscreen and I didn't get burnt.

/ Using "Sun Block"?
You may not burn easily and I don't either, but....it is a cumulative damage that occurs to the skin and cells causing them to go haywire and skin cancer can be the result. My wife is a red head and she burns very easily. She has had to have three surgeries to remove portions of skin (deep cuts too with big scars left). That stuff can even spread to other areas such as the bottom of the foot she had to have cut open and removed. Not fun stuff.