Do you have plans for your place when you pass away?

/ Do you have plans for your place when you pass away? #1  

Kyle_in_Tex

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4310,JD5420
Recently, I was speaking with some fellow TBN'ers, and the wife told me if she outlives her husband, she is moving back to the city. They have no children. I can't say I blame her. Taking care of the place would be a huge ordeal, having to try and hire out all the rigorous upkeep tasks.

It got me to thinking about my situation. I have 3 young children, 10,7, and 5 (started fatherhood at a ripe age of 45). I have told my wife that if I should die in the next few years, that she should move back into town on a normal sized lot. She told me if she just had to mow grass with a riding lawn mower, she would try to handle that. I told her she could hire out the mowing of our fields for a reasonable fee, but that there are far more arduous tasks that neither she or my kids could do. If the good Lord lets me live another 15 or more years, I might be able to pass on some knowledge to my kids so that they can take care of the place. The problem is, there are not many opportunities for jobs in our town. Most kids graduate high school, go to college, and then move to the bigger cities to get a job. I think they call it "brain drain". There they live until they retire and some come back home.

My best friend just got the news that he has a growth on his kidney. They are going to remove the kidney in a few weeks. He is 51. His dad died from cancer at 55. We are praying that the cancer hasn't spread. He has about 60 acres, a huge barn full of stuff, and an old home. He has 2 step-children, 17 and 21 that are good kids, but need prodding to do their tasks. His daughter is more loving than his son. He is worried that if he passes, they'll just spend all the money and be broke in a couple of years. He went and added me and his mother to his will, asking us to handle the situation and dole out the money to the kids in annual payments. I would guess his total estate value to be well in excess of a half million dollars.

I know many of you are getting up there in years too, and I wonder if you have plans.

/ Do you have plans for your place when you pass away? #2  
I have no kids. When I'm gone I don't care what happens to my place. It will probably be sold, and the money distributed between nieces and nephews.
I guess you could say I'll be the proverbial "waiting for a rich uncle to die."... except I have no money. :D

/ Do you have plans for your place when you pass away? #3  
I have thought of this lately too, as I dont have kids of my own, the GF is a city girl & I cant get her out at farm to do much more than ride on the mower once or so a year. Her girs are worse cant get them out of the house. I'm youngest of my family by more than 20 years now as my other brother passed 4 years ago. his kids are druggies as are my other great nieces/nephews so leaving them anything is a waste (smoke it snort it or shoot it up from what I can tell.)

So leaves me wondering why I work hard and save my $ when health has not been great & my fishing buddie passed away. Plans for my 23acres of woods/farm are up in air as oldest sister 71 and brother 69 neither are in any cond to care for it...

I'll be watching to see what others think & say in this thread!

M

/ Do you have plans for your place when you pass away? #4  
Death taxes will probably take mine. Mom refused to put things into the family trust and when she died the tax bill was $129,000 dollars!

mark

/ Do you have plans for your place when you pass away? #5  
Our daughter gets our place. She'll probably keep it for a vacation place. A friend's wife's Dad had a 237 acre farm, sold off land down to 132 acres to pay bills, he would've the lost farm except that my friend could afford to buy it some years ago. His wife, who was raised there and loves it, but he cares nothing for the farm. He just retired, and they're living on farm now, but I'm expecting to hear any day that he's selling it. Oh me, I'd love to have a place like that! And he cares not a whit for it! Wha' a waste!

/ Do you have plans for your place when you pass away? #6  
Bought my 10 acre place in 2005 at age 63 (flat, weeds, 25 old almond trees from an ancient orchard), 120 miles North of Sacramento in Tehama County. Added house, shop, 4 sheds, landscaping. Grew a few hay crops (Kanota oats). Bought two new tractors (2005 Kubota B7510HST, 2008 Mahindra 5525) and six old tractors to restore.

Three kids. None interested in owning the place.

So it was sold last January after 10 years of owner ship (age 73). Got rid of all the tractors and haying equipment via Craigslist. My deal with myself was that I'd keep the property as long as I could do all the maintenance and upkeep work myself. That became increasingly difficult as the years passed. So I spared my family the job of getting rid of all that stuff.

The CA drought was also a factor. No rain, so no hay crops. No irrigation on the land except for a domestic well at 150 ft depth. Neighbor's well at 90 ft depth ran dry last summer. Local orchard growers unable to get river water for their trees so they are pumping ground water year round. Just a matter of time before I would be facing a $30,000 cost to drill a deeper well to 400 ft.

Enjoyed owning the property. Glad I got rid of it the way I did when I did.

/ Do you have plans for your place when you pass away? #7  
All my belongings, property, etc will be auctioned off and proceeds go to the Humane Society.

/ Do you have plans for your place when you pass away? #8  
Challenging issue. Brain drain, lack of jobs, kids not interested in rural living and live too far away, wife couldn't handle it alone--yep. :laughing:

MY plan, if I get the chance to execute it :), is to do like flusher. At some point in age and ability to enjoy the place, sell and move to something much less involved. I'm 66 and have always thought about age 70 would be the time to get serious about the plan.

There are numerous land trusts aimed at various goals that I have thought about. Some may sell a donated property and use the proceeds on properties that better align with their mission. A conservation trust (preservation of farmland, timber, wildlife, recreation area) can be donated to various groups too.

The Small Woodland Owners Association of Maine (SWOAM) talks a lot about the importance of succession planning. They are interested in preserving working forests and foresee a huge turnover in land ownership in Maine given the average age of woodland owners. Their goal is to have land steered to someone in the family who will continue forestry. If not that, then they have a land trust program.

/ Do you have plans for your place when you pass away? #9  
Well I'm on my own again, and the closest relatives are half way across the country and circled like buzzards when my mother died. I have a trust set up so that my assets will be liquidated and divided between four mostly medical research based foundations.

As far as my twilight years, like others I intend to hold out here as long as I can do the work or pay someone to do it for me. I plan to build a shop with a small inlaw unit inside, and with everything on one level it would make a great spot if/when I become wheelchair bound. At that point I can rent out the house so at least there'll be someone to come around to find out what's making that awful smell after I pass. :laughing:

/ Do you have plans for your place when you pass away? #10  
I have four sons, all born and raised in this house and all of them grown. Not one of them wants any part of "country living," and that includes the ex-wife. They all work in the computer industry and make big bucks, live in trendy parts of Austin, Dallas, and Newport News.