Testing elec breaker to verify trip

/ Testing elec breaker to verify trip #1  

s219

Tractor
Kubota L3200, Deere X380, Kubota RTV-X
Anybody have a good procedure to test a breaker to make sure it trips?

My two year old daughter, who has all the makings of a tinkerer like me, managed to drop a penny across the two prongs of a night light plugged into the wall. The penny melted about halfway down the prongs before the whole thing fell off the wall. Pics below. This may actually be a good thing as she seems to have no interest in wall outlets now. Anyhow, the breaker on that circuit never tripped, which is not unreasonable, but I sure would like to verify that it will trip somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 amps, just for assurance. I have never run into a safe procedure to test that though.

The only thing I could think to try was put my compressor on the end of a long extension cord -- I know that SOB will trip a breaker when I am in the middle of a project if I don't have a heavy enough cord -- but damned if it didn't start (albeit with minor grumbling) on every 15A circuit I tried in the house, including the one in question. I didn't want to do that more than 3-4 times since it's not good for the motor.

By the way, I tore apart the old outlet when I replaced it with a new one, and there was no sign of arcing or damage inside the outlet, and all the wiring looked fine. So I do think this was a relatively quick event with only external arcing, and the nightlight must have popped out of the wall very fast. Our only clue as to the event was my daughter coming and telling mommy that she "heard a noise". She's a real punk... All of this happened in the space of 30-40 seconds when my wife left the room to refill my daughter's zippy cup with juice.

Based on the date on the penny, it's a version that is primarily zinc with copper plating. I have no idea how well zinc conducts, but the penny would have needed enough resistance to keep the current below 15A if it didn't trip the breaker, assuming the breaker is OK. The brass prongs on the nightlight had small divots, but it seems the penny bore the brunt of this encounter with electricity. I sure wouldn't trust a modern penny to bypass a fuse like people did in the old days!

IMG_5734.jpg

IMG_5818.jpg

/ Testing elec breaker to verify trip #2  
I would replace the outlet with a GFI. Much better protection than a 15 amp breaker. There are testers available to plug in and test the breaker but not so cheap. A GFI tester will probably work. I have not tried it but it creates a short to test the GFI.

/ Testing elec breaker to verify trip #3  
That's why I flip the outlet with ground up. Thats code here.

/ Testing elec breaker to verify trip #4  
In commercial applications receptacles should be installed with the ground prong on the top...for this reason...granted the night lite with only two prongs would not make any difference in this case...

/ Testing elec breaker to verify trip #5  
arc fault breaker would have tripped a GFI maybe not in this case. You could build a breaker tester with heavy resistors and or a large load to test them however it may only show the breaker is stuck.

You should trip and reset all the breakers on a regular basis to make sure they dont seal up from lack of use.

M

/ Testing elec breaker to verify trip #6  
Most breakers have a AIC (amp interupting current) rating labeled on the handle (in small print). This is different than the overload amps. The MAIN need to be larger than the individual circuit breakers.
ex: MAIN could be 20,000 AIC and circuits being 10,000 AIC. usually making the circuit breaker trip first.

/ Testing elec breaker to verify trip #7  
Just curious on what brand of breakers you have. That penny should have tripped the breaker.

/ Testing elec breaker to verify trip #8  
That is why I sneak any new or used breaker into work and bench test it. A quick ballpark check is to load the breaker to twice it's nameplate rating. It should trip in approx 45 seconds , give or take 10 seconds .
I throw out approx 1 in four breakers.
Any breaker that has been exposed to short circuit current. Junk it as it can never be trusted after being highly stressed .

/ Testing elec breaker to verify trip #9  
One strand of #8 wire sticking out to the ground terminal in a welding machine plug was enough to trip my Square D 50 amp QO breaker. That penny should have tripped in microseconds. Hopefully you don't have the Federal Pacific from the 70's. I'll bet some of the electricians that follow this forum (and there are some really knowledgeable ones) can tell us some stories about these. Had them in my first house. Yuck!

/ Testing elec breaker to verify trip
Just curious on what brand of breakers you have. That penny should have tripped the breaker.

It's a GE panel and GE breakers.

I would have thought a short of this nature would trip a 15A breaker too -- have seen it in the past when wires got accidentally cut for example -- but I wonder if this is one those cases where an arc fault interrupt would be required due to low current. We only have arc fault breakers covering bedrooms in our home. I understand that as of 2014 NEC, they are required in all living spaces in a home.