Walther PP ammo

/ Walther PP ammo #1  

sailorman

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota 2320
Years ago I inherited Walther PP from veteran father taken in WWII . I believe it is circa pre - WWII ( before U.S. A. got in it ) . Long ago I bought ammo from Walmart ( not best place ) . Clerk said get .380 auto . Bought some and it fired ok . Wondering now if that is really what I need . Pistol is marked 9 mm . Opinions ?

/ Walther PP ammo #2  
.380 is also known (particularly in Europe) as 9mm Kurz or 9mm Short.

The Walther PP came in different calibers, including .22, .25(?), .32, and 9x18.

Obviously, the smaller calibers wouldn't even chamber the .380 round.

Also, if it was a 9x18 (standard 9mm) it should be pretty obvious something was wrong when you loaded the magazine.

If it's feeding, chambering and cycling correctly, then there's little doubt you have the right ammo.

kurz.jpg

(I have an older West German PP in .380 too)

/ Walther PP ammo #3  
.380 ACP also known as 9mm Kurtz

My PP is in .32ACP but marked in the metric fashion as the .32 is known over there as 7.65mm

/ Walther PP ammo
.380 is also known (particularly in Europe) as 9mm Kurz or 9mm Short.

Also, if it was a 9x18 (standard 9mm) it should be pretty obvious something was wrong when you loaded the magazine.

If it's feeding, chambering and cycling correctly, then there's little doubt you have the right ammo.

kurz.jpg

(I have an older West German PP in .380 too)

Thanks for reply Paul . I noticed recently that the .380 does not seem to load correctly in magazine or feed . Seems like it did in the past . This may be due to a lack of magazine maintenance on my part . If I chamber a single round it will fire . Marking on pistol just reads 9 m/m . No reference to kurz . Would a 9 x 18 walther chamber a single .380 round and fire correctly but not work with the magazine ?

Any recommendations as to how I can determine correct ammo ?

/ Walther PP ammo #5  
Kurz mean "short" in German. 9mm Kurz / . 380 ACP is almost certainly the correct ammunition. When your pistol was produced all the ammo was full metal jacket. If you are loading .380 hollow point ammunition in the magazine I am not surprised hollow point is reluctant to feed properly.

It is also possible you have a rusty magazine spring or rust on the sides of the magazine follower, reducing ammunition feed force. I would take it to a gunsmith at a "real" firearms store and have it thoroughly checked out.

9mm Luger / 9mm Parabellum, 9 X 19, while never referred to as such, would be 9mm "long". The Walther PP has never been chambered for this round. Should you somehow get a round of MUCH more powerful 9mm Luger to chamber and fire it is probable the pistol would come apart and injure you. This pistol was originally chambered for the 32 ACP; more powerful .380 ACP came later and .380 ACP is max pressure this small pistol can stand.

Between WWI and WWII 9mm Parabellum firearms and ammo were restricted in Germany and Austria by the victorious Allied Powers, therefore civilian pistols did not need to be engraved with KURZ. All non-clandestine 9mm was Kurz.

9 X 18 is a third type of 9mm with distinct dimensions, mostly used in Soviet designed pistols.

Last edited:
   / Walther PP ammo #6  
Procedure is to make a chamber slug with Cerrosafe alloy and measure the slug to determine what the chamber is.
Decent gunsmith should be able to do this as it is a basic requirement to be able to call yourself a gunsmith.
If you feel adventurous you can order Cerrosafe from Brownell's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d5DA4_OcuE

/ Walther PP ammo #7  
My uncle gave me a Walther PP chambered - 7.65mm, a WWll war trophy also. I was young when I got it and I'll bet I tore down/reassembled it a hundred times. One year when we had an Xmas get together my uncle brought some 32 acp ammo to fire in it. Fortunately, they set it in a makeshift clamp and used a long string to fire it. It blew the back end of the bolt completely out of it. I was so dam upset - the pistol never functioned or could be torn down after that.

/ Walther PP ammo
Man, I love the vast knowledge pool and related stories on TBN ! I would be glad to read any other suggestions or knowledge of this pistol from members . For example, I heard it is best not to have restoration work on such items because it can lower the value, true or not ? Remember I have read this is a rare pistol because it has a a magazine release button on the bottom of the handle .

/ Walther PP ammo #9  
I think - from what I've seen on TV shows - your statement on restoration is, generally, true. I've also heard that any "proper" restoration must be done by an extremely competent gunsmith who specializes in antique restoration - and that it is quite expensive.

Were it me - I'd keep it the way it is and treasure it.

/ Walther PP ammo #10  
For example, I heard it is best not to have restoration work on such items because it can lower the value, true or not ? TRUE

Remember I have read this is a rare pistol because it has a a magazine release button on the bottom of the handle .

Not very rare; thousands and thousands were made with a bottom mag release. I do not think Walthers were made without a bottom mag release until about 1955.

Value of this pistol is $200 - $400 today, depending on condition.

You can read a lot about Walther firearms on Wickipedia or any of many firearms web forums; just Google "Walther PP".

The firearms expertise on T-B-N is highly variable and some could place you in physical hazard if relied upon. It is easy to loose an eye or fingers having fun with firearms but with incorrect ammunition.

Last edited: