American Tree Farm certification

/ American Tree Farm certification #1  

TnAndy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar LX410...IHI 35J excavator Woodmizer LT40
I'm interested in getting our timbered property (65ac) certified under ATF (wow.....is that REALLY their initials ? :D), as I understand it is the oldest, and easiest of the several organizations out there.

Do you have a forest ATF certified (the green sign: Tree Farm) ?

What did is cost you ?

Are there ongoing costs ?

How hard were the hoops to jump thru ?

Thanks !

/ American Tree Farm certification #3  
I'm getting my ducks in a row now... I wrote the management plan, but want to implement some changes on the property before I apply... mainly to decide what buildings I want and where they go so that I can exclude that footprint from the forested area.

There are some subtle benefits, especially if you plan to have a commercial harvest. Some mills will buy the wood when refusing non certified timber.

/ American Tree Farm certification
I'm getting my ducks in a row now... I wrote the management plan, but want to implement some changes on the property before I apply... mainly to decide what buildings I want and where they go so that I can exclude that footprint from the forested area.

There are some subtle benefits, especially if you plan to have a commercial harvest. Some mills will buy the wood when refusing non certified timber.

What costs were/are associated with it ? I don't want to have to pay a forester a pile of money. I don't intend to sell timber, I have my own bandmill, and anything cut from here will be processed here (as it has for many years)....so the sales aspect of it doesn't interest me. I'm more interested in the stewardship of the land type thing.

/ American Tree Farm certification #5  
I went to the site MossRoad posted. This may be just the ticket where its needed and recognized by the timber industry. To me, there seems to be a lot of involvement of "third party" assessments, evaluations etc. Been here 30+ years - sold selected timber once. Around here its mainly either cattle or wheat - so the "forrest land" kind of takes care of itself. Besides - there just isn't enough marketable timber for any sustainable income.

Around 50 years ago my father developed a "wetlands management plan" with the DNR. That was just great until the wet land all dried up and have been that way ever since. Nature has a way to taking care of itself and human involvement usually seems to gum up the works.

Turnbull NWR(National Wildlife Refuge), immediately abutting my east property line, is a prime example of the DNR attempting to correct a previous "wetlands management" program - attempted over 80 years ago. The government attempted to drain wet lands so they could be used for agricultural production. After several years of effort - they finally gave up. However, due to the original screwing around, it has become somewhat of a "sustaining nightmare" and a true money pit.

I've found its better to just live with the land and allow the land to tell you what is needed and when.

/ American Tree Farm certification #6  
What costs were/are associated with it ? I don't want to have to pay a forester a pile of money. I don't intend to sell timber, I have my own bandmill, and anything cut from here will be processed here (as it has for many years)....so the sales aspect of it doesn't interest me. I'm more interested in the stewardship of the land type thing.
For your purposes then, I don't know that you would accomplish anything by getting certified. (Although 65 acres is growing a LOT of wood, to be consumed on premises.)

What exactly are your objectives? You can read through the Tree Farm requirements, and decide which standards might enhance your property.
There is a myriad of reading resources available on the internet. If you aren't planning on selling wood to certified mills, all the Tree Farm certification is is a piece of paper and a sign.

/ American Tree Farm certification #7  
I'm interested in getting our timbered property (65ac) certified under ATF (wow.....is that REALLY their initials ? :D), as I understand it is the oldest, and easiest of the several organizations out there.

Do you have a forest ATF certified (the green sign: Tree Farm) ?
Yup.
What did is cost you ?
A few minutes getting papers together and talking to the forester.
Are there ongoing costs ?

How hard were the hoops to jump thru ?

Thanks !
Just regular maintenance costs. No hoops at all. I probably spent an hour at the most with the forester, and that was mainly just talking about conditions in general.

/ American Tree Farm certification #8  
Indiana has a pretty good program for classified forests and wild lands. Perhaps some of you folks in other states have something similar.... worth checking into.
DNR: Classified Forest & Wildlands

Back around 1989 my wife and I bought 20 acres of mixed farm/woodland. We had a 4 acre field, 10 acres of woods and a 6 acre field. The soil is highly erodible sand on varying slopes. We contacted our state forester and he came out and did a free assessment. He cataloged the existing tree species and gave us a list of trees that would do well in our 4 acre field that we wanted to re-forest. And he gave us a free management plan. He set us up with a professional forester that bought the trees, planted the 4 acre field and side sprayed them. It was 2150 trees. After they were planted, we got reimbursed for 75% of the cost due to erosion control. So we ended up paying $265.00 for 2150 trees planted and side sprayed! :thumbsup:

Our ONLY STIPULATIONS were that we had to either side spray the trees for weed control once a year or mow between the trees twice a year (we pick the method) for 5 years. That's it! After 5 years we could cut them down, sell them, let the weeds take over, etc... It was a very worthwhile program.

Now we're considering the classified forest/wild lands program. It'll substantially reduce taxes should we ever build a house out there.

/ American Tree Farm certification #9  
AH---- Now I see the benefit of a management program. Moss Road said - "it will substantially reduce taxes should we ever build a house out there". Well, I can confirm that in the county where I live - any such management program whether federal, state or county will have NO beneficial impact on taxes.

I tried to set up a wetlands management plan with the county and it fell through. The county planning board would give no tax relief - as a matter of fact, they wanted me to open my property to unlimited/unrestricted public access. I felt sorry for the county planning dept employee who worked so hard to help me get the plan together - he also was blind sided when the planning board made public access a condition of approval. I stood up during their discussion and pulled my request.

Never again - never again.

/ American Tree Farm certification #10  
Indiana has a pretty good program for classified forests and wild lands. Perhaps some of you folks in other states have something similar.... worth checking into.
DNR: Classified Forest & Wildlands

NC has a use-value assessment for forestry that provides substantial property tax relief. You have to have a minimum of 20 contiguous acres of woodland and follow an approved forest management plan. The county NC Forest Service (NCFS) ranger provided my initial plan and updated it after about ten years at no charge to me. The NCFS also provided cost-sharing on the initial planting of a 10-acre pine plantation tract and the "wild planting" of two tracts that were clear-cut according to my management plan.

Steve