Standard Air Tools For Tractors

/ Standard Air Tools For Tractors #1  

MikePA

Super Moderator
Tractor
Had TC25D, now JD X310
For those of you with an air compressor...

What tools and accessories do you consider 'must have' for working on compact tractors, related attachments and vehicles? This will be for my personal use, no plans to become a professional. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The only requirement I have for the compressor is that it has to be portable and has to run on 115v. Here's a link to the compressor I am considering. While I was at this web site, I started looking around and thought I might as well buy everything I need. But then I realized, I don't know what I need. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Standard Air Tools For Tractors #2  
Mike, that ought to be a pretty nice little compressor and will handle most of the jobs you'd want to do except it probably couldn't keep up real well with a paint spray gun or sandblaster. As for what else you need; everything! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif You'll probably never get through adding tools and accessories. I'd start with:

air chuck(s) for airing up tires of course
air blow gun for cleaning things
1/2" impact with at least 425 ft./lbs. of torque
3/8" ratchet
extra hose and plenty of quick couplers

Then:

air chisel/hammer with assortment of bits
reciprocating saw
1/2" reversible drill
angle die grinder

Of course a filter and pressure regulator if they're not included, and plenty of air tool oil.

/ Standard Air Tools For Tractors #3  
I'll second Bird's post. The air ratchet is, by far, the most-used of my pneumatic tool collection. I'd add that a permanent-mount hose reel that can hold 75' -- 100' of hose is a must. Otherwise, air hose is a monumental pain in the back side to roll up and store without twisting the heck out of it.

The size of your potential compressor should be just fine. 8.8 CFM will push a lot of air through those tools. It'll probably drive 2 -- 3 framing nailers for when you have the guys over to build your tractor barn.

This is kinda off topic, but do you also have a 1/2" drive socket set? So far, the largest socket and wrench I've used is 1 1/8". That's a bit large for a 3/8" drive.

/ Standard Air Tools For Tractors #4  
I'll third Birds post /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Things I would add or change are as follows:
SAFETY glasses
lots of hose
impact sockets
3/8" butterfly impact wrench
3/8" Standard impact wrench
lots of hose fittings
Maybe a 3/4" impact

If you are blowing stuff off or air hammering ect, wear some eye protection.....

I have 100' of hose. Two sections are 25'. In the garage, I usually use 25'. It is short and does not get tangled ect. If I work in the driveway, I add a second 25'. Those are my garage/outdoor hoses, which reach most work area's I need, as well as a couple access point for the house. (My compressor is a 60gal upright stationary unit)

My third section of hose is 50', clean, and orange. I have a brad gun and a finish nailer that I used when I trimmed out some rooms in the house. It was nice to have clean non marking hose that was very visible when working in the house.

Remember, you want to use hose as the "Extension hose", not electrical cord. Long extension cords have IR drops and will burn up your motor...

I learned from my Volunteer Firefighting, to always connect hoses when not in use. Nothing worse than a hose end dragging in gunk, contaminating the hose, and then contaminating and ruining a tool. Not such a big deal at home as it is in an emergency response, but air tools are not cheap...

Get lots of hose and attachment fittings. I hate it when I have to take a fitting from one tool and put it on another so I can use it. I have all my air tools fitted with couplers, and have some extras for when that odd setup comes along.

IMHO, FWIW, I really like the 3/8" butterfly impact. It has worked much better fo me than the air ratchet I had. It acceses area's easier, and has about 80ftlb torque. I think my air ratchet was a junker cheapo, though...

I got a 3/8" impact wrench. It is pretty handy.

I have had need of my neighbors 3/4" impact to remover the honkin big nuts on the rotary mower blades... Only time I have ever needed it, but when I did, it worked well.

I like impact sockets better than standard. I never broke my regular sockets, but the impacts seem beefier and are all 6-point instead of 12 point/6point mix.

Remember, air nozzles and impacts can be fun noise makers too /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Standard Air Tools For Tractors #5  
All good advice, Robert.

/ Standard Air Tools For Tractors #6  
I would add a disk cut off grinder. a pair of heavy welders gloves, a box of disposable latex exam gloves, and lots of paper towels or wipers... You might also want some waterless hand cleaner. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Almost forgot..... a ball valve right before the drier regulator to shut down the air if you blow a hose and one ball valve at the bottom of the tank to make draining easy...

/ Standard Air Tools For Tractors #7  
Junkmans post brought a product to mind that you may want to also consider. Harbor Freight sells a pneumatic valve for an air compressor tank that drains it of water when the compressor cycles off each time. The best part is they are less than 10 bucks and install very easily. I installed one on my compressor when I bought it and the valve works very well. Draining water from my compressor air tank is one less thing I now have to worry about. See it click here

/ Standard Air Tools For Tractors #8  
can you tell us how it works? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Standard Air Tools For Tractors #9  
If you want to keep it for a long time I would step upto a little bigger unit. For ~$700 you can get ~10-15 cfm. This will run a paint gun and sander that the little ones won't. Of course it depends on your budget, but I have a 4 cfm unit that was fine for the first year and now is way to small. It will run a finish nailer well, a ratchet fair, but the impact is marginal. A couple of hits and then you need to wait for the tank to refill.
I am looking at something in the 15 to 18 cfm range.

As far as tools goes I find the impact the most useful. You can remove things with this that are tough by hand where as the ratchet is more of a time saver.

Classic example is a disc mower. The discs have a ~ 1.25" nut on top of each disc, but of course the discs spin. Pain in the %^$ with a hand tool, but a snap with the impact. The impact will spin the nut off without spinning the disc.
I have a IR thunder gun and love it.

Fred

/ Standard Air Tools For Tractors
<font color="blue"> I am looking at something in the 15 to 18 cfm range. </font>
Wont this require 220v? If so, where this compressor is going to live most of the time there's only 110v.