Has anybody built a tool lock box? Ideas needed.

/ Has anybody built a tool lock box? Ideas needed. #1  

4570Man

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M59, Kubota L3800, Grasshopper 428D, Topkick dump truck, 3500 dump truck, 10 ton trailer, more lighter trailers.
My shop is about a mile from the house. After being cleaned out once I keep all the hand tools at the house. That is becoming a PITA. I want to build a lock box to store my tools in. I am dealing with crack heads with a crowbar not jewelry store thieves. The original plan was to use 1/4 inch steel, but at $1.70 per pound I could pay the $1000 insurance deductible cheaper. I was building some concrete forms, and I had a light bulb moment. I was thinking of using 5000 psi fiber reinforced concrete with chain link fencing and rebar in the middle. I could use a much thinner steel shell but I think just the concrete would be strong enough. Then I will have to come up with a locking lid. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

/ Has anybody built a tool lock box? Ideas needed. #2  
It might be cheaper to buy a used knaack box made just for that. I have 2 of them for job site storage, a 5' & a 6'. They retail around a $1000, but I would sell mine for $300 ea.

/ Has anybody built a tool lock box? Ideas needed.
It might be cheaper to buy a used knaack box made just for that. I have 2 of them for job site storage, a 5' & a 6'. They retail around a $1000, but I would sell mine for $300 ea.
The budget for this project is pretty small. I am trying to build one on the cheap. Besides where would be the fun in just buying one?

/ Has anybody built a tool lock box? Ideas needed. #4  
do what say a school might do for various rooms for shop classes.... toss up a couple wire mesh panels (rebar mesh) up as walls inside a building. and then little welding for a frame to fit another piece of wire mesh for a door. and some sort of lock. it will not look pretty but perhaps serve as duel purpose. the wire mesh = spots you can toss hooks onto to hold tools. at same time keep folks from reaching through and grabbing stuff through the mesh. ya they could bring in bolt cutters. but more likely they will take out a lock on a door before trying to cut all the way through it all.

/ Has anybody built a tool lock box? Ideas needed. #5  
Right now you should be able to get steel for a lot less than $1.70 lb. I just paid .34 cents lb. for 1/4 HRPO from a service center. Steel prices have been low since early spring and I've been told it will continue for a while. It's a good time to build your projects out of steel.

/ Has anybody built a tool lock box? Ideas needed. #6  
Lowes is selling the "JobBox" now for $189. Not perfect and wouldn't stand up to a determined attack by a crook with power tools, but enough to discourage crackheads. And even if they tried, it would take significant effort and make NOISE.

- Jay

/ Has anybody built a tool lock box? Ideas needed. #7  
What about a used gun safe. or a decoy spot that is welded shut when you put your tools somewhere else.

/ Has anybody built a tool lock box? Ideas needed.
There is a rent house on the property. I am not worried about them, and when they are home there won't be any problem. If they are not home the thief could make as much noise as they wanted especially since I usually make a lot of noise when I use the shop. A used gun safe would be great, but they are expensive. I could afford 30 cents per pound for steel. I need to double check steel prices. I could probably find something in the scrap yard, but that is worse than sending a drunk to the liquor store.