Raising a barn

/ Raising a barn #1  

cat fever

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti RX6620PS
So it's finally cooled down enough that I can start building my new barn.
This will be a simple pole barn 45' X 72' with a 12' X 72' awning. (closed in) Height from floor to bottom of the trusses will be about 12' in the main barn area.
I tore down an old woodshed so I could utilize the concrete pad that was already there, although I do not intend to add any more concrete.
The barn will be to store hay and the hay growing equipment. The awning is for wood storage and the utility trailer.
It will be my wife and adult son (when he's not working) and myself building this. So it might go a little slow at times.
So here are a few pictures of the progress.
First, the woodshed that I tore down.
DSCN1917.JPG
Shed gone ready to build.
DSCN2082.JPG
Neighbor drilling holes.
DSCN2112.jpgDSCN2117.jpg
Picking up posts and rough cut 2X6s.
DSCN2139.jpgDSCN2152.jpg
Putting posts in with my homemade post holder/platform. And found a use for my hay spear!:)
DSCN2156.jpgDSCN2159.JPGDSCN2164.jpg
Mixing concrete and setting posts.
DSCN2180.jpgDSCN2178.jpgDSCN2185.jpg
I started all this on the 4th of September, (the building part, not the tear down) as of last night (8th) all the posts are up and cemented in.
20150908_193028.jpg20150908_193105.jpg
I am now waiting for trusses that should show up between now and Friday the 11th. I also go on vacation Friday for a couple weeks so I'm hoping to get the roof complete during that time. More pictures to come as the work progresses.

/ Raising a barn #2  
Sounds like it's going to be plenty big enough. I'm looking forward to following your progress!!!!

/ Raising a barn
Thanks Eddie, it should be plenty of room. (of course, I said that on the last two pole barns.) The awning was an after thought; but while building I thought it wont add that much cost and will keep the fire wood and trailer out of the main barn area.

/ Raising a barn #4  
getting set to build one myself, so watching closely.

/ Raising a barn
Good luck, they are easy to put up. :thumbsup:

/ Raising a barn #7  
Thanks Eddie, it should be plenty of room. (of course, I said that on the last two pole barns.) The awning was an after thought; but while building I thought it wont add that much cost and will keep the fire wood and trailer out of the main barn area.
I had a horse barn that was 40x120 (12 foot stalls and a 16 foot center aisle) that I also had a 16 x 120 foot overhang on.

That overhang was worth it's weight in gold in terms of having extra shelter for those seasonal implements, a wagon load of whatever, a quick shelter for the tractor at the end of a too long day, a place for a party or just a dry place to get out of the rain while entering the barn. We even had yard sales and would take kids into the barn to visit the horses.

/ Raising a barn
Me too, so watching intently.

About 15 years ago my brother built a pole barn just like I'm building. At that time I looked it over and thought, "I could build that". So I built a 36' X 36' garage. Worked out nice. The next year I built a 21' X 36' barn same style. At the time they were just the right size and purpose built. Circumstances have changed (more toys urrr I mean tools) so I need more covered space. This one being much larger should serve me the rest of my life. :) I have convinced myself this is the last one !!
I will take pictures of how everything is attached and you'll be saying "I could build that". :thumbsup:

/ Raising a barn #9  
This is really cool! I got a quote from a barn builder in Payson yesterday and they said they could do a 24x60 fully enclosed barn for about $17k. I'd probably want something a little bigger like yours for all my hay and tractors though.

I've never built anything like a barn before but I'm pretty handy. I'll definitely watch this thread and hopefully I'll think "I could build that" and do it myself.

Just out of curiosity, how much do you think you'll spend in materials for the project?

/ Raising a barn
This is really cool! I got a quote from a barn builder in Payson yesterday and they said they could do a 24x60 fully enclosed barn for about $17k. I'd probably want something a little bigger like yours for all my hay and tractors though.

I've never built anything like a barn before but I'm pretty handy. I'll definitely watch this thread and hopefully I'll think "I could build that" and do it myself.

Just out of curiosity, how much do you think you'll spend in materials for the project?

Without doors about $15k.