Which brand central air unit to buy?

/ Which brand central air unit to buy? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
We will soon need to replace our 15 year old Lennox central air system that has been wonderful. One local quality guy installs Ducane brand but the on-line reviews are only 2 out of 5 stars. Another local quality guy installs Lennox but they also got only 2 out of five stars. What gives? Lennox used to be one of the best. Are they all like this? Harbor Freight gets more than 2 out of 5 stars.

Anyone put in or replaced a central air unit in the past few years that has anything good or bad to recommend or not recommend?

Thanks in advance.

/ Which brand central air unit to buy? #2  
I have a Carrier 5 years old. I would give it a 3 star. The capacitor went out on year two and I noticed this summer it is running a long time to cool. However it is efficient with the highest electric bill $170 in a month of 100˚ temps (all electric house).

/ Which brand central air unit to buy? #3  
American Standard usually rates the highest.

/ Which brand central air unit to buy? #4  
I have a 3 year old Rheem heat pump. The guy who installed it went **** up on the bricks about 6 months after it was installed. It works ok in the Summer, but there is a valve that is noisy as he77 when I run it in the normal mode, so I heat with in in the Emergency mode, which uses the electric heating elements. Not a problem, but I am not in the mood to recommend a Rheem. My research indicates that who you buy your unit from and installs it is just as important, or more important than the brand.

/ Which brand central air unit to buy? #5  
I have a 4 ton trane at my house. It's about 12yo know. Had really good luck with it so far. Had an issue with a bad pressure valve at 5yo and caused it to burn up the fan. Home warranty took care of that issue so not much out of pocket. Heat is ok in the winter. Usually kick it over to emergency if it's below 30 degrees. It's pretty energy efficient unless it's running on the heat strips.

I mainly use it for cooling though. I have a fire place insert and burn wood in the winter. More heat, and a whole lot cheaper :D

/ Which brand central air unit to buy? #6  
I replaced my system this past winter. American Standard (same as Trane) and Carrier (Same as Bryant) both had ten year mfg warranties.

/ Which brand central air unit to buy? #7  
Are plain Jane A/C units more dependable than heat pumps?

/ Which brand central air unit to buy? #8  
I have a 6 ton york, it's been fantastic and very efficient.

/ Which brand central air unit to buy? #9  
Before I retired as a school district facilities manager, we installed hundreds if not thousands of 5 ton units (typical size for a single classroom). Of all the brands installed, and we were required to take low bid, Carrier was the most trouble free, followed very closely by Trane.

/ Which brand central air unit to buy? #10  
I have a Raheem. It's 36 years old. I've replaced a capacitor once in that time.
And, two times was a bit low on freon. Being the old R12 I think.
However most of the AC units are good these days. Just pick a reputable dealer