Walmart strikes again

/ Walmart strikes again #1  

dummy

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 1220, John Deere 770, Case 580E and Allmand TLB-35
Stopped by to pick up some oil the other day. Gave the clerk my handy, dandy Mastercard/debit card. Found out that Walmart no longer accepts the Mastercard option, only the debit part, which my bank charges a fee for (the mastercard side is fee free but is still debited out). Sent an email to Walmart and received a reply of "Mastercard has raised their fees to Walmart, so until Mastercard decreases these fees, We (Walmart and other retailers)) will no longer do business with them." I wrote off Sam's club a while ago. Can't see paying a "membership fee" to have the privilege of buying there. Now , I guess Walmart will be going by the wayside also. Will just have to get my oil and stuff somewhere else when it's on sale.

Maybe my one or two sales a month won't hurt them, but their tactics seem to be getting out of hand (IMO).

/ Walmart strikes again #2  
Just use your Discover, Visa, write a check, or pay cash.

/ Walmart strikes again #3  
Puzzling to me why Walmart (and others) don't just add the charge from the credit cards to the price, same as the way they add the state sales tax. Then it would be the same as cash. Then, if MasterCard wants to increase their fee, their own customer would make the decision to quit using their card. Why cater to the whims of the credit card part of our society?

I like the convenience of the credit card, but I don't think the credit card customer should get by cheaper than the cash payer.

(Now the check-writer types, who hold up the line, that is a different complaint altogether /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

/ Walmart strikes again #4  
There's a reason MasterCard raised their fees. To make up for lost revenue.
You've seen the commercials, "Some don't take American Express.... they take Visa, blah blah blah.". MasterCard is not even mentioned. Why not? Probably because they lost their clout years ago.
I've been in several retail locations that don't take MasterCard so I don't even own a MasterCard anymore.

It's not Wallyworld's fault MC raised their fees. Boycot MasterCard instead.

/ Walmart strikes again #5  
Do retail places still take cash? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Walmart strikes again #6  
Walmart online still takes Mastercard. Why would one take it and not the other?

/ Walmart strikes again #7  
CASH??? Why that's un-American /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The only time I use a credit card is when I order something over the phone or online. It is handy for that.

When I was in the gun dealing business, the wholesale gun places that did take credit cards charged 2% more, when a credit card was used.

/ Walmart strikes again #8  
MasterCard is the only credit card I carry. I've never had it refused for anything on line or at the brick and mortars. My ATM card also has a MasterCard logo, and at a few locations it is processed as "credit", though it shows up on my bank statement as a debit transaction. My bank does not charge for use of the ATM/debit card except at other bank's ATM machines. I doubt MasterCard is going away any time soon.

On the Sam's thing....if you buy enough of the kinds of things Sam's sells to make up the difference in the membership fee, over what you could buy it for elsewhere, paying the membership fee makes sense. The money leaves your wallet either way, so what do you care what they call the fee?

Chuck

/ Walmart strikes again #9  
And if you don't save at least the "fee amount" it's refunded or it used to be.

/ Walmart strikes again #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Do retail places still take cash? )</font>

Yes, but you have to show them two photo IDs and give them your home phone number. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif