Transporting Bucket Truck in Pennsylvania

/ Transporting Bucket Truck in Pennsylvania #1  

strum456

Platinum Member
Tractor
Fords
I am planning to buy a used bucket truck for use around the farm. The truck is road worthy - the previous owner used it regularly before buying a new one.

The delimma is how am can I legally get it home (about 50 miles) without spending a fortune.

Hauling it would be very expensive (F-450 with utility bed and 30 foot bucket).

I'd like to just drive it, but I DO NOT want to register it or buy plates. It will not leave the farm unless I sell it.

According to my insurance policy, recently purchased vehicles are automatically covered for 10 days. So, it looks like I would be ok insurance wise.

Is it possilbe to get a temporary plate without buying regular plate? I know there are in-transit plates, but it looks like those are for out of state people. This is going to be a farm vehicle, but I'm not sure that an orange triangle would satisfy the police. Considering the cost of registration, it seems that there should be a cheaper options since I do not need to register the vehicle.

/ Transporting Bucket Truck in Pennsylvania #2  
Have you checked with your local DMV regarding farm vehicles? That's the first place I'd check.

A friend of mine and I keep considering purchasing a bucket truck together. He needs it for farm use and I need it twice a year for Christmas lights. The problem is neither of us wants to purchase insurance or plates for driving it 20 miles twice a year! :laughing:

/ Transporting Bucket Truck in Pennsylvania #3  
My grandpa bought a Ford F-800 bucket truck with a 55 foot boom. He just drove it home from about the same distance. Just don't get caught. I have a friend who has a huge trackhoe. To legally move it on his truck you have to take the boom off . You can imagine what a PITA that is. He waited until early Christmas Day, and drove the whole thing up on a low boy and move it a few miles.

/ Transporting Bucket Truck in Pennsylvania #4  
I've seen lots of trucks go down the road with unreadable mud covered license plates!

I don't know what the laws are, but I would think there should be some type of temporary plate or something that you could use. Let is know what you find out and decide to do.

/ Transporting Bucket Truck in Pennsylvania #5  
In Va you can get a 30 day tag cheep and its not a big deal. better than a ticket happy cop filling his pad for every thing wrong because you tied to get home on the cheep. Ed

/ Transporting Bucket Truck in Pennsylvania #6  
I believe most states will sell you a temporary vehicle registration, I know the ones around here will. It allows you to transport a vehicle on the highways without full registration. I have always figured a bill of sale gives you a one day free pass though ;) Sometimes it is easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission ;)

Insurance would be the kicker if you got in an accident and it sounds like you have that covered.

/ Transporting Bucket Truck in Pennsylvania #7  
I am planning to buy a used bucket truck for use around the farm. The truck is road worthy - the previous owner used it regularly before buying a new one.

The delimma is how am can I legally get it home (about 50 miles) without spending a fortune.

Hauling it would be very expensive (F-450 with utility bed and 30 foot bucket).

I'd like to just drive it, but I DO NOT want to register it or buy plates. It will not leave the farm unless I sell it.

According to my insurance policy, recently purchased vehicles are automatically covered for 10 days. So, it looks like I would be ok insurance wise.

Is it possilbe to get a temporary plate without buying regular plate? I know there are in-transit plates, but it looks like those are for out of state people. This is going to be a farm vehicle, but I'm not sure that an orange triangle would satisfy the police. Considering the cost of registration, it seems that there should be a cheaper options since I do not need to register the vehicle.

Just drive it home. If the police stop you, just say "No habla Ingles". They'll let you go.

/ Transporting Bucket Truck in Pennsylvania #8  
In Texas you can get a 30 day temporary tag for $25 , check with your dmv

/ Transporting Bucket Truck in Pennsylvania #9  
In n Az you can buy a 3 day registration right over the internet and be good to go

/ Transporting Bucket Truck in Pennsylvania #10  
From the PA DMV website:

I'm buying a used car from an individual, but can't get the tags for it until next week. Since the tag doesn't stay with the car, do I drive around without a tag?
No. You can get a temporary tag valid for 90 days, from any motor vehicle dealer or authorized issuing agent. You will need to provide proof of insurance and ownership to get the temporary tag.