Mosin-Nagant hex receiver

/ Mosin-Nagant hex receiver #1  

paulharvey

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L285
I got a Mosin-Nagant, from a 1/2 uncle in law, that he threw in a roll off dumpster when cleaning out an old house. The barrel is ruined and the stock is done. The marking seem to say it's a Finnish M39 made by Sako (I think) and has a barrel made in occupied Belgium in 1942. So, this gun was made for the "Continuation War" when Finland invaded the USSR with Germany.

So, I would like to get it shootable, but.. the problem is all the barrels I'm seeing are in the $100+ range, and the right stock (Finnish M39) are $70+. Could I use a M91/30, M44, or other Mosin Stock? Will a Hex receiver fit a stock used with a round reciever? If I replace the barrel, odds of finding a Belgian barrel, for close to cheap are near zero; so...

Part of me all along has said just go buy a M91/30 for $200; but now that I know I have a 1 in 50,000 instead of a 1 in 15,000,000.

Edit: parts are expensive, I probably could sell trigger parts, and bolt for (according to ebay) around $50-75, and then sell reciever to someone really wanting to build a "hex"

Last edited:
   / Mosin-Nagant hex receiver #2  
parts are expensive, I probably could sell trigger parts, and bolt for (according to ebay) around $50-75, and then sell reciever to someone really wanting to build a "hex"

That is what I would do with it. but up to you... sure would not have left it in the dumpster...

/ Mosin-Nagant hex receiver #3  
~$170 for a barrel and stock, plus some for a gunsmith to mount barrel, headspace etc. That's really not bad.Would not be original, but could make a nice shooter.

I'd lean towards fixin it up.

/ Mosin-Nagant hex receiver
That is what I would do with it. but up to you... sure would not have left it in the dumpster...

Well, what's so bad is someone tried to make the wooden stock into a pistol grip and hacksaw ed the barrel... I know they aren't Rare but it just feels wrong to destroy something like that "because i I thought it would look cool".

I'm thinking I may look around at some army navy shops and see if they have "take off" barrels or stocks for cheap. There's little to nothing online what I would call cheap.

Edit: I don't really want a poly aftermarket stock like a Arkangel or monti-carlo style. I am a fan of old rifles that look like they should or did

Re-edit: I would love to get a Kar-98 and a M91/30 as a wall display. If I ever get a Kar98 it probably will be a Yugo, which is fine by me. I may get an Arisaka that's rusting in grand mother in laws garage.

Last edited:
   / Mosin-Nagant hex receiver #5  
I would consider it only because finnish. You can buy anothet one for $170. Priced have gone up some, but I wouldn't pay them. I think people that know what Mosins are would. There are millions of them. Cheap surplus gun.

I bought mine just to leave in garage, was 100. I didn't care what happened to it.

But then I read up them, and found them interesting.

I would put light layer of lock tite on sear screw. Other then that **** reliable.

Finns should be more accurate, then rest. If it has a good barrel. Sad he treated that way. I have wanted a finn, because finn, but not worth 3-400 to me. Though I do spend money I shouldn't at times

/ Mosin-Nagant hex receiver #6  
Remember surplus ammo may be corrosive, so clean every time

/ Mosin-Nagant hex receiver #7  
Finns did capture and resemble. But not all are russian. Many countries made them

/ Mosin-Nagant hex receiver
All Mosin-Nagant receivers are Russian manufacture. The Sakos and others are captured Russian rifles rebarrelled, restocked and trigger tweaked by Finland.

Well I have no doubt they captured 100,000's, but they inherited huge numbers, they where a Grand Duchy of Imperial Russia until 1918. I swear I read they where manufactured by Sako, and at least one other company in Finland, but they could have remanned old recievers. I think Poland, and Romania also manufactured some M44's post war until the SKS and Ak47 became wide spread.