Ammunition

/ Ammunition #1  

paulharvey

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L285
There used to be a pretty good thread about Ammunition a few months ago, until it turned into a religious and political fertilizer fight. So, maybe we can try again, without the fertilizer?

Acedemy Sports sells some pretty darn well prices 7.62x39 steel cased, Berdan primed, under the name Monarch. Anyone know 1st: is it pretty decent, u can't imagine it's not; 2nd: is it Russian or Chinese, or other? I know Wolf, Golden/Silver/Brown bear, Tula, all are. Golden Tiger sounds Chinese but I Think it's Russian. Given the choicw, with price and quality the same, I would prefer Russian. 20 rounds of 123 gr FMJ is $4.99; and no shipping.

Edit: the also have 520 rnd spam cans for $129.99; $0.25/rnd.

/ Ammunition #3  
We had a DICKS open up last week locally, they had a lot of 22 but told me they were not selling it until the next day (had made a trip in to them 20_ min drive) told them I wanted to buy it then not come back went thru 4 people all said saving it for grand opening and it would be 10 bucks cheaper... I told them no thanks I WONT EVER be back! and YEP I will stick to it. dang place was over priced and rude manager... Some of the girls were cute eye candy but probably didn't know much about anything outdoors...

/ Ammunition #4  
We had a DICKS open up last week locally, they had a lot of 22 but told me they were not selling it until the next day (had made a trip in to them 20_ min drive) told them I wanted to buy it then not come back went thru 4 people all said saving it for grand opening and it would be 10 bucks cheaper... I told them no thanks I WONT EVER be back! and YEP I will stick to it. dang place was over priced and rude manager... Some of the girls were cute eye candy but probably didn't know much about anything outdoors...
Thats how they got the name DICKS.I will never step foot in one of there stores again.Got the same treatment in Toledo OH. store.22 lr. seems to be hit and miss in stores around here.22 mag. is almost impossible to find.

/ Ammunition #5  
I buy a lot of my ammunition online (Sportsmansguide is usually a good place, especially in bulk). I'll try ammunition from anywhere. I haven't heard of Golden Tiger, but I would be sure that it's imported.

Our (relatively) local Dick's doesn't usually have a large supply of ammo, although I've occassionally picked some up there when it's on sale. I bought one gun from there - a Maverick 88 on a Black Friday - it was $160, but man it was a hassle. I had to wait forever for the clerk at the gun counter, then it took a long to time to fill out the paperwork, even with a CCL, then they had to carry the gun to the front and stand in line with me so that I could pay...it just went on and and on.

I don't consider Dicks to be an outstanding hunting-type store - it seems like more of a sports store to me....

Good luck and take care.

/ Ammunition #6  
I buy a lot of my ammunition online (Sportsmansguide is usually a good place, especially in bulk). I'll try ammunition from anywhere. I haven't heard of Golden Tiger, but I would be sure that it's imported.

Our (relatively) local Dick's doesn't usually have a large supply of ammo, although I've occassionally picked some up there when it's on sale. I bought one gun from there - a Maverick 88 on a Black Friday - it was $160, but man it was a hassle. I had to wait forever for the clerk at the gun counter, then it took a long to time to fill out the paperwork, even with a CCL, then they had to carry the gun to the front and stand in line with me so that I could pay...it just went on and and on.

I don't consider Dicks to be an outstanding hunting-type store - it seems like more of a sports store to me....

Good luck and take care.

They to[d me they don't like gun people in their store. Said it was a family store.:confused2:

/ Ammunition #7  
Freedom munitions. American company, reasonable prices.

/ Ammunition #9  
You didn't say what you are using the ammo for. Are you just burning off rounds plinking? It's not what I would call a hunting caliber, or target rifle, so my thinking is to buy what's cheapest and enjoy. I've found that for hunting and target shooting, each rifle has a sweet spot for what it shoots the best. Bullet design, weight and powder need to be just the right combination for each rifle. Federal Premium ammo works the best for my rifle with 165 grain SPBT bullets. I can shoot sub one inch groups with it at a hundred yards when I practice regularly, and two inch groups any day of the week if I haven't shot in months.

We are still working on the right combo for my wifes 7mm-08, but 140 grain bullets seem to be where we're having the most luck, just want to try a few more brands to see what's the right one for her.

/ Ammunition
You didn't say what you are using the ammo for. Are you just burning off rounds plinking? It's not what I would call a hunting caliber, or target rifle, so my thinking is to buy what's cheapest and enjoy. I've found that for hunting and target shooting, each rifle has a sweet spot for what it shoots the best. Bullet design, weight and powder need to be just the right combination for each rifle. Federal Premium ammo works the best for my rifle with 165 grain SPBT bullets. I can shoot sub one inch groups with it at a hundred yards when I practice regularly, and two inch groups any day of the week if I haven't shot in months.

We are still working on the right combo for my wifes 7mm-08, but 140 grain bullets seem to be where we're having the most luck, just want to try a few more brands to see what's the right one for her.

I'll be using 150 (153? Grn) SP for deer this year, but the FMJ would be just for plinking, and pest control.

Edit: it's Wolf 154 grn SP.