Leaf Blower Questions

/ Leaf Blower Questions #1  

mx1alex

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5400
I'm in the market for a leaf blower and I'm not sure which route I want to take. It will be used for normal leaf blowing activities (blow off drive way after mowing, blow out gutters, etc). One thing that's important is that my wife is able to use it so I've kind thought about getting one of those battery powered ones. Does anybody have any experience with those? I like the idea of not having another gas motor to take care of but I don't want to be buying new batteries for the thing once every couple of years either. I want to make sure it has the power to do what I need.

/ Leaf Blower Questions
I've been seeing this one advertised a lot on tv lately and it seems like it has plenty of power but a replacement battery is $130.

EGO 480 CFM 3-Speed Turbo 56-Volt Lithium-ion Cordless Electric Blower-LB4801 - The Home Depot

578c0515-6766-479c-81fd-00f309f45005_1000.jpg

/ Leaf Blower Questions #3  
This one is easy to start and balances well. My wife won't use many power tools but uses this Stihl BG86 one all the time.

Object moved

/ Leaf Blower Questions #4  
This one is easy to start and balances well. My wife won't use many power tools but uses this Stihl BG86 one all the time.

Object moved

dusty and I have the same one, I think it is the biggest hand held model that Stihl makes. I wouldn't want one with less power, and i definitely don't want a back pack model.

mx1... compare air volume and velocity when comparison shopping.

/ Leaf Blower Questions #5  
My Grandma has a battery powered one she uses to to blow out her flower beds. It is really more suitable for blowing crumbs off the kitchen floor. The Sthil leaf blower attachment for a weed eater is probably the easiest blower to handle I have ever used. A regular leaf blower is hard to handle because they are really only good for one handed operation. I much prefer using my backpack blower to any of the above choices. Picking it up off the ground and getting it on your back is difficult, but if you set it up on a truck tailgate first it is much easier. Unless your wife is like 95 pounds I think she could handle a backpack blower.

/ Leaf Blower Questions #6  
I've got the same one Dusty listed also. It starts pretty easy and I also bought an attachement thats a long tube with a bend on the end that lets me blow out my gutters.

/ Leaf Blower Questions #7  
Volume is by far the most important measurement. A strong backpack blower can't post a MPH rating drastically better then a wimpy handheld blower, but their blowing performance is drastically better. A compressed air gun sucks at blowing leafs because they lack volume, but still have high air speed.

/ Leaf Blower Questions #8  
I have a craftsman 19.3volt blower and it is not powerful, it will blow some light stuff but anymore only time I use it is to blow out the gym bleachers at the school because we can't run the gas one with kids in the building. Maybe the 40+ volt ones are better but I wouldn't recomend what I have for your use. Heck only reason I got it was a combo pack with a weedeater with worked fine when all I had was a little city lot, but laughs at what I want it to do now

/ Leaf Blower Questions #9  
I think any electric blower is going to be really light duty. It may sound like an odd choice, but the lighter weight backpack blowers are easy for anyone to use. The newer 2 stroke engines start very easily. I just got a Husky 350 which handles very nice but is relatively heavy. I think your wife might find a Husky 150 about right.

/ Leaf Blower Questions #10  
Gotta start by saying that we have LOTS of leaves and acorns. Numerous white oaks. Over two acres to deal with between our houses and the in-laws.

I was surprised when we went shopping that my wife liked this one best after considering price, weight, power, and ease of starting - Object moved. I am cheap, and very resistant to the notion of spending that much on "just a blower". But she REALLY likes that it: is easy to don and comfortable; is very powerful; is REALLY easy to start and is surprisingly quiet with its "4-Mix" 4-stroke engine; is a high quality piece of equipment worth working on and having repaired for many years (if needed) as opposed to cheap blowers we had previously had.

What momma REALLY likes, momma gets. I have had zero regrets now after about a year.

Did I mention that it is POWERFUL!!!!

- Jay