Bird Flu?

/ Bird Flu? #1  

paulharvey

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L285
I have (had) 10 hens since about April. About 3 weeks ago, a single hen (Rhode Island red or production red?) got lazy, sick acting, and after about two weeks finally died. At first when we noticed she was sick, we separated her, and gave her her own water and food, thinking maybe the others where crowding in out. She got better, and we reintroduced her. She got sick again, repeated, got better. Then 3rd time, she finally died. All that over probably two weeks, maybe 3. The day after she finally died, one of the others, who until now seed fine, died. Literally healthy to dead in about 16 hours. Now, just had a 3rd one die, same as the 2nd.

So, what should I consider. I'm going to pick up some tetracycline or oxy-tetracycline this afternoon. But, if it's bird flu, that's a virus right. So, basically, if it's flu, you just wait and hope? Is it 100% fatal, or do they just cull commercial flocks to prevent the spread?

Edit: the first chicken had some weird clear slimy mucus coming out of beak

I was getting as many as 6 eggs per day, 2 days ago got 2 eggs, yesterday, 0.

Re-edit: no commercial chicken houses within 15 or 20 miles, so I don't plan on culling my birds. I buried the dead ones, but not before a vulture picked at the first one

/ Bird Flu? #2  
I would contact a vet and see what they suggest. They may want to test one of the deads.

/ Bird Flu? #3  
Contact the local usda wildlife services or a university extension office. They can help with diagnosis otherwise you are just guessing.

/ Bird Flu? #4  
This is a serious matter and needs to be addressed immediately. You need to contact a vet and your state animal health office concerning your flock. The big question is what strain of avian flu is involved. The feds have been tracking H5N1, H5N2, and H5N8 and will want to determine which strain is responsible. The spreading crops up in spring and fall as migrating waterfowl spread the strains along the migration routes. States in my area have reimbursement funds available for losses and instructions on how to sterilize your property.