Please use adequate backstop when shooting

/ Please use adequate backstop when shooting #1  

Jstpssng

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3301
When I'm standing next to my truck on client's land and can hear the bullet hitting the target that's too close.
I quickly reassessed my plans for today and retreated... fast. :D

/ Please use adequate backstop when shooting #2  
Wow. That close and they cannot see you there.

/ Please use adequate backstop when shooting #3  
Your warning is universal good sense

But your description of your situation is a bit obscure. It "sounds" like the "backstop" was working perfectly.

It's when you hear the whizzers flying overhead and lower, that concerns mount.

/ Please use adequate backstop when shooting
Your warning is universal good sense

But your description of your situation is a bit obscure. It "sounds" like the "backstop" was working perfectly.

It's when you hear the whizzers flying overhead and lower, that concerns mount.

I was on a road, +- 350 feet from where I estimate the target was... He was shooting downhill across a small ravine. I was on high ground on the other side.

(Edit) Anytime you set your target up on your property line and shoot into somebody else's land or road, you're taking a risk. A few years ago I was walking a power line doing an herbicide assessment when I noticed the abutter's target was set up so that he was shooting into the power line. Coming back through, I had just gotten past his shooting lane (<200 feet beyond) when they began shooting. I guess that it's perfectly legal, but you will never convince me that it's safe to fire when somebody is 100 yards or less in back of your target.

Last edited:
   / Please use adequate backstop when shooting #5  
I was on a road, +- 350 feet from where I estimate the target was... He was shooting downhill across a small ravine. I was on high ground on the other side.

(Edit) Anytime you set your target up on your property line and shoot into somebody else's land or road, you're taking a risk. A few years ago I was walking a power line doing an herbicide assessment when I noticed the abutter's target was set up so that he was shooting into the power line. Coming back through, I had just gotten past his shooting lane (<200 feet beyond) when they began shooting. I guess that it's perfectly legal, but you will never convince me that it's safe to fire when somebody is 100 yards or less in back of your target.

When I bought my property, one of the first things I did was look for a safe place to shoot. I have a pond dam that is about 20 feet tall that I decided to use. Mowing the thing was a pain though!
image.jpeg

/ Please use adequate backstop when shooting #6  
All our back stops are a minimum of 5 feet with some much higher, we live in the hills. Our neighbor has no hills and sights his deer rifle into a 3' dirt pile with stray bullets going into our woods, scary.

/ Please use adequate backstop when shooting #7  
I wonder how many people bother to research the ballistics on their firearms that will tell them how far a particular load will carry before it goes to the ground.. There are some pretty good sites on the internet.

/ Please use adequate backstop when shooting #8  
No matter, just be SAFE boys! Besides someone maybe being hit, hurt, killed, us shooters would give more fire to the anti gun boys. They surely don't need more ammunition...

/ Please use adequate backstop when shooting #9  
I never fire at any game without looking to see where the bullet will go if I miss or if it goes through whatever it is I'm shooting. As far as target practice always into a backstop. Better safe than sorry

/ Please use adequate backstop when shooting #10  
When I cleared the trees to make a pasture, I built a 10' high, 30' diameter dirt berm at the end of the property and painted fence posts as distance markers. It works real good until I have to turn my critters out on it. The wife doesn't like me shooting when her horse is out there...:laughing: