Oatmeal, serving suggestions

/ Oatmeal, serving suggestions #1  

QueBota

Gold Member
Tractor
B2910
Doc wants me to try to eat oatmeal as much as possible, cholesterol a bit high, family history of heart disease. I like oatmeal but it's not bacon. Any serving suggestions to liven it up a bit would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Q

/ Oatmeal, serving suggestions #2  
Never heard of an oatmeal diet however have you tried googling "cooking light"? They might have some ideas there. My sly side of me says to crumble bacon in the oatmeal.....

/ Oatmeal, serving suggestions
Not an "oatmeal diet" just a suggestion to try to eat more oatmeal, supposedly good at reducing cholesterol and improving heart health. He suggested oatmeal for breakfast every morning, need to find a way to make it more appealing.

Thanks,
Q

/ Oatmeal, serving suggestions #4  
Quaker sells all kinds of differently flavored instant oatmeal. Isn't bad at all.

/ Oatmeal, serving suggestions
I asked my Doc if I could put bacon bits in the oatmeal, pulling his leg. He didn't see the humor in it, gave me the stink eye. Will check out the flavored oatmeals after work today, hope they have the same effect as the original cardboard tube type I have in the cupboard. Those ones take a while to cook and get the right consistency.

Thanks,
Q

/ Oatmeal, serving suggestions #6  
I 'do' oatmeal most mornings. I don't cook it, it is right out if the container it came in and into the bowl. I use apple juice on it because milk and me have a 'problem'. Absolutely NO refined sugar, just the oatmeal and apple juice.
The way I see it is that horses eat oats and they sure don't want them cooked, so why can't I?

/ Oatmeal, serving suggestions #7  
Oatmeal-Butterscotch cookies are good !!! Probably not on the Docs list though.

/ Oatmeal, serving suggestions #8  
We eat a lot if this. It's not bad, 0 cholesterol.

Attachments

• image-3080932051.jpg
    image-3080932051.jpg
    490.8 KB · Views: 103
   / Oatmeal, serving suggestions #9  
I love oatmeal but I only consider it a base for toppings (some of which your doctor may not like). When camping, I'll set up an "oatmeal buffet" with the oatmeal (I only use old fashioned or steel cut, never instant) and toppings. For toppings, my favorites are brown sugar, maple syrup, blueberries, strawberries, raisins, nuts and whipped cream. There are many more options but that's what I like...

/ Oatmeal, serving suggestions #10  
I love oatmeal but I only consider it a base for toppings (some of which your doctor may not like). When camping, I'll set up an "oatmeal buffet" with the oatmeal (I only use old fashioned or steel cut, never instant) and toppings. For toppings, my favorites are brown sugar, maple syrup, blueberries, strawberries, raisins, nuts and whipped cream. There are many more options but that's what I like...
You and I are on the same wave link. Years ago I gave up regular oatmeal for steel cut oats. Steel cut oats haven't been steamed and maintain their full goodness. I eat them almost every morning. I always add whole roasted almonds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, flax seed meal and cinnamon. Toppings are always some kind of berry or grapes with a dollop of butter. I like to make several days worth and gently reheat a bowlful for breakfast. As for sweetener, I chop a few dates and add them during the cooking process. If I don't eat oats every day I feel like I'm under nourished.