AR 15

/ AR 15 #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
I've never felt the need to own one, but I also never thought I would want to carry a pistol either. Seems like times are changing and I would rather have one and not need it, then wish I had one and couldn't get it.

My only experience with them is from when I was in the Marines and we had the M16a2. Technology has improved and now there are dozens of manufacturers of the AR 15. Like anything, I figure some are better quality then others. I don't know who makes the good ones, and who makes the cheap junk.

I'm not set on an AR 15 if there is something better out there. I'm also not set on .223 either. .308 is a better round, but the recoil might be more then my wife can handle. I also spent some time in the Marines with the uzi while serving overseas and felt that was a great close quarter weapon. The State Department trained us with the mini 14 when I was at Quantico, but I really didn't care for it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

/ AR 15 #2  
Any good name brand AR will will give you good service, caliber depends on your intended use it's hard to beat 223/5.56 it's cheap and available everywhere nowadays and with correct projectile and shot placement will kill deer and hogs cleanly and efficiently. The choices are mind boggling!

/ AR 15 #3  
A good friend of mine is X military. He has several of them and is well schooled in the AR and its options. I will ask him for a few recomendations and post back.

/ AR 15 #4  
Eddie, my feeling is that if the SHTF badly enough that I NEED an AR-15, I'll be able to "acquire" one with the .270 or one of the other rifles I already own. If I can't, then the AR probably wouldn't have done me much good anyway...

If you do buy one, I'd go with the .223 just because the ammo for it will be far more readily available in a situation where you actually require the AR than the .308 will be. Most of the AR's out there are .223.

Bushmaster, Colt, etc. all make nice components. Part of the fun of an AR is building it yourself. You could always buy one in .223 and then also get a .308 receiver and barrel so you'd have it in both calibers. I'd also get the .22 barrel and receiver for it to make it a more affordable fun shooter.

/ AR 15 #5  
I'm not set on an AR 15 if there is something better out there. I'm also not set on .223 either. .308 is a better round, but the recoil might be more then my wife can handle.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My neighbor has the Sig 716 .308 and the kick is minimal, it actually surprised me because I was expecting much more. My 30-30 kicks harder.

/ AR 15 #6  
Well you have really stepped off the cliff now!:D Just kidding. I have owned several, all good. If fact I don't know of any real bad ones. I have a DPMS panther, but different barrel, gas block and hand-guard. Part of the fun is mixing and matching to make it like you want it.. Most are in .223, but there are other calibers to consider. Many of the larger ones will require a different platform, Usually the AR10 sized platform.

The AR15 is probably the most customizable rifle out there. Hardly any two are the same. Of course now you have the direct impingement gas guns as well as the operating rod guns, with fanatics on both sides of that argument. My gas operated gun still works fine for me, I rarely fill it full of dirt and sand.:D and I do clean it once in a while. Of course on the other hand, the operating rod guns do run cooler and cleaner. All of the .223/5.56 guns have practically zero recoil. Like none. So anyone can shoot them well. And shoot them all day without a chance of a sore shoulder. They are a lot of fun!

One thing to remember, they may not have any recoil, but they sure as heck are loud (except the suppressed ones in pistol calibers or the 300 Blackout or Whisper) Be sure to wear hearing protection each and every time.

Probably the most fun I had with one was chambered in .22LR with a suppressor on an old M16 full auto lower... The only problem was keeping the magazines loaded fast enough and keeping the guys at the range kicked off of it.:)

Last edited:
   / AR 15 #7  
..My only experience with them is from when I was in the Marines and we had the M16a2. ...

...The State Department trained us with the mini 14 when I was at Quantico, but I really didn't care for it.

Interesting what early experiences do to present desires.

My Army experience was Garand, Carbine, and M14. An AR15 feels totally "wrong" while a Mini-14 feels like an old friend.

Bruce

/ AR 15 #8  
Any Colt, Rock River ,S&W, SIG, Bushmaster... are great weapons. If I were buying a used one I would buy from a reputable dealer or from someone I knew and trusted, sometimes these weapons have a tendecy to be "abused" by some people to see how fast they can make it fire...etc, which really heats the barrel, and puts alot of wear on moving parts. just my :2cents:

/ AR 15 #9  
I have a Colt AR-15 9MM carbine that I carried as a peace officer. The Colt model number is 6540. I have added a 2X red dot scope. It's good out to 100m. I prefer the Colt over the other brands, just a personal preference, not a slap at the others such as Bushmaster which are good weapons. The .308 is a good round for stopping power but does have more recoil than the .223. For that reason I would want something a little heavier than the AR15 style weapons. Springfield makes the M1A .308 which is the civilian version of the M14. It comes standard with a 22" barrel or a scout version with a 18" barrel and a 10 round magazine. With a scope it would make a fine weapon for hunting or whatever else you need it for in a pinch.

Scout Squad | M1A? Rifle for Sale | Semi Automatic Firearms

/ AR 15 #10  
I'm not set on an AR 15 if there is something better out there. I'm also not set on .223 either. .308 is a better round, but the recoil might be more then my wife can handle.

I like the intermediate power 7.62 X 39mm round made famous in the Russian AK-47.

Ruger chambers the 7.62 X 39mm in semi-automatic Ranch Rifles; AKA Mini-14.

There are many totally dependable AK-47 clones available from US venders, from Eastern Europe and Asia.

Only the pros will be squeezing off aimed fire at greater than 300 yards.

Last edited: