Insulation for shop ceiling

/ Insulation for shop ceiling #1  

Code54

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100, Kubota BX25D,1957 Farmall Cub Lo-Boy Kubota KX91-3, BCS 853
We built the shop a few years ago and the roof and walls have the 1" insulation and I would like to start adding to the "R" value of the building. I was thinking it would be best to reduce the ceiling height so save the heat for the area that is needed. The bottom of the rafter is 10' and there are lights hanging down about a foot from them. I was thinking I seen some kid of rolled plastic insulation that you run between the rafters (4' apart). I can run some cross braces and it would be easy to put up by myself and I could add more insulation above it. What is the name of this stuff to look it up to get pricing. Also where is a good place to get this type of product? The building has a double wall (outside wall is the metal, 1" insulation then ス 4x8 particle board. Then a 4" gap and another particle board wall) so I figure I can easily blow insulation in there later on after the roof is done.
Does this sound like it would work? I need to keep the cost down and be able to easily do it by myself. I have a 150K propane hanging heater (with vent) in there and it keeps it warm but runs more than I figure it needs to. We mostly don't get below 0 and if we do it is only for a short time. Most 20-30's in the winter.

Thanks in advance!!

/ Insulation for shop ceiling #2  
Dont have your answer but I sure was shocked when I put insulation in my metal building, that stuff has really jumped in price since we built out home 4 years ago.

/ Insulation for shop ceiling
Hate to hear that! Then again nothing I do is ever cheap, well at least that is what my wife tells me....

/ Insulation for shop ceiling #4  
How big is the building? I know you are looking for an economical solution, but a real ceiling under your trusses with blown in insulation is probably the best choice. A liner panel metal ceiling is less than $1 per square foot and then the insulation will be less than that.

/ Insulation for shop ceiling #5  
It would probably be cheaper to put up 2x4s across your rafters 2' o.c. then put up plastic sheets vapor barrier then drywall, blowing insulation on top. Worth pricing it out at least.

/ Insulation for shop ceiling #6  
Hate to hear that! Then again nothing I do is ever cheap, well at least that is what my wife tells me....

I am cheap but nothing my wife does is cheap.

The bldg is 30'x40' and the only bad thing is there are about 30 lights that would need moved for pretty much anything I put in. I am hoping to use something fairly giving so if bumped and would not break but drywall maybe an option. Just a bugger to put up on my own, may need to find a lift. At this point I am open to any ideas

/ Insulation for shop ceiling #8  
It would probably be cheaper still to put up 2x4s across your rafters 2' o.c., then put up plastic sheets vapor barrier then 1/4" plywood and blow the insulation on top of that. the plywood is a little more forgiving that drywall/sheetrock.

/ Insulation for shop ceiling #9  
If you do drywall, definitely get the lift
It's so worth it. I've done it both ways. They aren't that expensive to rent.

¼ is a good idea. Now do I need the vapor barrier since the roof is insulated already? Running 2x4's would be the way to go, that is a good idea and would make it fairly easy to hang the ceiling.