Another leaf blower thread, battery operated - this for a 91 yr old MIL

/ Another leaf blower thread, battery operated - this for a 91 yr old MIL #1  

newbury

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota's - B7610, M4700
As written, I've a 91 year old MIL who insists on blowing her own leaves. She probably weighs her age.

She recently burned up a small corded blower, bought a new 12 amp one. and wants to run it about 100' from wallpower. The manual says she will need 12 gauge cord. She already bought a 65' 14 gauge cord and says it's too heavy. And she only "blows" leaves from a driveway and a porch. No grass, no garage cleaning, etc.

I'm suggesting a battery operated, specifically a Dewalt DCBL720P1 20 V Brushless Blower. Partially because it uses the 20v Max series of batteries of which I have 5. That "weigh" I can give her a 2 amp which will work for her entire job, but it only weighs 12 ounces versus the 5 amp battery it comes with, which seems to be 18 to 20 ounces.

She definitely does not need to go up to a 40V system.

Any recommendations for other contenders? B&D? Porter Cable? Milwaukee?

/ Another leaf blower thread, battery operated - this for a 91 yr old MIL #2  
Unless you have other brands of cordless tools it sounds like the most practical route is to go with the Dewalt blower exactly like you suggested.

/ Another leaf blower thread, battery operated - this for a 91 yr old MIL
I was waiting for someone to post "brand qwe has a lighter configuration and might be better suited", but leaves continue to fall so I ordered the DeWalt.

/ Another leaf blower thread, battery operated - this for a 91 yr old MIL #4  
I think you made the right choice. Man, 91 and still doing leaves. May God Bless her.

Last edited:
   / Another leaf blower thread, battery operated - this for a 91 yr old MIL #5  
I have a Kobalt 40 volt Li-ion battery powered mower, so have been thinking about their leaf blower.

The 40 volt batteries come in different amp hour ratings, mine is 5 ah.

841821017644lg.jpg

Lowes_Kobalt_40V_Blower_506889.jpg

Kobalt-40V-19-Inch-Mower-Battery.jpg

Kobalt-Lithium-Ion-Batteries.jpg

/ Another leaf blower thread, battery operated - this for a 91 yr old MIL #6  
The Milwaukee 18v compact cordless blower 0884 isn't really designed to be an all outdoor yard tool. And is the only cordless unit that they offer. Not that it can't move a few leaves around but is only 100CFM and is no comparison to that Dewalt blower @400CFM.

I have one I take to my job to help cleanup my construction debris and do job prep. It's handy small and compact, has 3 speeds and works decent. I like it...beats using a broom :D

/ Another leaf blower thread, battery operated - this for a 91 yr old MIL #7  
Those battery operated machines are trash IMO. If you have all the time in the world to blow leaves like a 91 year old then maybe its okay I guess. Serious get a gas powered backpack blower and you will be done in minutes.

/ Another leaf blower thread, battery operated - this for a 91 yr old MIL #8  
Those battery operated machines are trash IMO. If you have all the time in the world to blow leaves like a 91 year old then maybe its okay I guess. Serious get a gas powered backpack blower and you will be done in minutes.

I don't think she could pick up the back-pack blower. The portable battery type sounds practical.

/ Another leaf blower thread, battery operated - this for a 91 yr old MIL #9  
I agree, but I don't think a 91 year old is up to the task of using a backpack blower. My Grandpa is 93 and he uses a gas powered blower and a gas powered chainsaw, but a backpack blower and a chainsaw over 35cc is too much for him. A ultra light backpack blower might be alright, but most weight over 20 pounds.

/ Another leaf blower thread, battery operated - this for a 91 yr old MIL #10  
I've had the DeWalt blower for 6 months now. Excellent "tool", it should do everything she needs for small clean-up tasks.

My mother (74) liked mine so much, she bought one.

Ed