HVAC 40 yr. old double wide manufactured home, exterior duct work?

/ HVAC 40 yr. old double wide manufactured home, exterior duct work? #1  

bjr

Veteran Member
Tractor
Jinma JM354
The original electric central heating system hasn't been used in well over ten years and had been ran with no filters. The owners had been making do with space heaters. Now they're considering using the original system. Upon initial inspection the system is almost plugged dirty. No one know the state of the duct system because access in the crawl space is almost non existent home was installed very low to grade. They are talking about maybe a new furnace, but that doesn't help the duct work. My question is, could a new duct work system be installed outside the home along the perimeter(in some kind of insulated box frame work) and penetrated thru the exterior walls. Is this doable or not. I'm not a HVAC guy, just a neighbor. bjr

/ HVAC 40 yr. old double wide manufactured home, exterior duct work? #2  
What is the heat source? Electric heat pump or gas furnace? If gas, they could install a small vent free gas wall heater in each room running the gas lines in through the walls.

Edit- any chance a professional duct cleaning service could unplug the ducts? Might be cheaper than making new ducts or my suggestion above.

/ HVAC 40 yr. old double wide manufactured home, exterior duct work? #3  
   / HVAC 40 yr. old double wide manufactured home, exterior duct work? #4  
Installing another duct system as you are talking about isn't going to work well at all.. Duct work is designed for air flow.. Connecting something like you are talking about to the existing unit just isn't going to flow air very well at all

/ HVAC 40 yr. old double wide manufactured home, exterior duct work? #5  
A couple PAC units might be your answer. They run with no or little duct and the back of the unit has to be stuck through an outside wall. Ed

/ HVAC 40 yr. old double wide manufactured home, exterior duct work? #6  
easiest / quickest way would be to sick a couple window shakers in the windows

/ HVAC 40 yr. old double wide manufactured home, exterior duct work? #7  
My son-in-law put a couple of the Mitsubishi Ductless Heat Pumps units in his and was very happy with them. He said they were even cheaper to run than the old central heat pump. I would think getting someone to clean your current ducts would be a lot cheaper but only if the old furnace still works.

/ HVAC 40 yr. old double wide manufactured home, exterior duct work? #8  
He has to ask.. How much do you want to invest in this 40 yr old mobile home ?

/ HVAC 40 yr. old double wide manufactured home, exterior duct work? #9  
I'd look at the professional duct cleaners first (although sounds like they might start with Roto-rooter). They have the brushes and vac equipment.

/ HVAC 40 yr. old double wide manufactured home, exterior duct work? #10